Setting up Support newsgroups/mailing lists with SurgeNews
We decided to setup our own company support groups in SurgeNews, Here's what we had to do...
- Find a host to run SurgeNews on, we decided to use a new host rather than replace our existing server so we could set it up and test it before moving/ breaking the old system, the host we chose was one we use for some other internal things (it doesn't need a box of it's own)
- Download surgenews from https://netwinsite.com/ftp/surgenews and ran the self extracting installation.
Now I modified the config settings:
- Edited 'pull' hosts to change it to suck the netwin.* news groups from news.netwinsite.com
- Set the pull host to news.netwinsite.com
- Set the outgoing feed to news.netwinsite.com
- Added a pile rule so it would not expire the netwin items.
- Set the default subcription list to our two main news groups.
g_feed host="news.netwinsite.com" groups="*" type="posting"
g_pile groups="netwin.*" use="60%" days=""
g_pull host="news.netwinsite.com" groups="*" connections="6" maxbody="50mb" expire="TRUE"
Because these groups are not just local but carried on google etc we chose to set the hide domain settings so people can post without getting spammed. In addition we want people to be able to join the groups via email, and post responses via email, so we add these settings. Also we had to create this domain 'anon.surgenews.com' and point the mx record at this host.
On the mail server we added a rule so incoming news would get routed to the news server on port 6025:
g_gateway domain="anon.surgenews.com" to="localhost:6025" check="TRUE"
Lastly since this system had windows firewalling turned on we had to enable the ports we wanted.
- 6025 -- Incoming smtp from the real mail server which happens to be on the same host
- 9080 -- The Webnews http port (port 80 is already used on this server for other things)
You can see the results here: http://anon.surgenews.com:9080