SurgeNews Change History
Current release: Version 2.0a-12 Date: 1 Jan 2008
2007 Summary settings added.
Syntax Description g_crosspost_max int Limits cross posts for all incoming items g_expire_replicate bool This attempts to expire local items if they dont exist on the host we got the header feed from. It judges which is the primary host for a group based on the percent of items it holds, so if the upstream server holds less than half of the items it doesn't use it to expire g_expire_range bool This can tidy up groups with big 'gaps' in the numbering g_feed_delay int Delay ALL outgoing feeds this many seconds. Please note this delays all outgoing feeds, it is not intended for normal use but for specialised machines sending a delayed feed across an expensive network link g_feed_once bool Only send cross posts to one outgoing feed. This allows you to split an incoming feed without duplicating crossposts to backends, it is a global setting so applies to all feeds g_feed_noback bool Just drop messages if we can't send them right away g_groups_block string Block messages even cross posted to these groups. This can help to stop in appropriate cross posts from porno news groups. g_no_proxy_user bool If set then doesn't add X-Proxy-User: header. This is useful to hide the identity of your users from upstream machines. g_post_replace_date bool Replace date header for local posts. This prevents local users abusing the date header g_pull_tryall bool Try all pull hosts even if xbody header found and failed. Searches harder to find the body of a message g_ssl_per_domain bool Create/use an SSL certificate for each domain
Several bugs were also addressed during the period.
SurgeNews 2.0a-4 October 2005
New history handling to cope with large servers with long retention.
SurgeNews 2.0a-2 June 2005
- Added support for sharing the load between multiple hosts using header feeds.
- Fixed crashes during 'reload'
SurgeNews 2.0a-1 June 2005
- Fixed bugs with webnews 'join up parts' which was causing a load problem and long delays
- Added 'failover' support for proxy host settings, if a list of hosts is specified then each one will be tried and load will be shared between them.
- Improved index format so it will be more resilient, on large servers after installing there will be a delay of about an hour to upgrade the index format! (You cannot downgrade to 1.0* versions after upgrading without also doing a rebuild_index)
SurgeNews 1.0a-14 Feb 2005
- Added webnews support for user subscription (via email) to news groups (g_webnews_tomail "true")
- Added support for smtp->news gateway for replies from messages sent using g_webnews_tomail
SurgeNews 1.0a-13 Feb 2005
- Added image thumbnails to webnews interface
- Added server wide search engine to webnews for attachment searching.
- Various minor bug fixes.
SurgeNews 1.0a 02-July-2004
- Added webnews interface
- Added proxy mode features
- Main public beta release
SurgeNews 0.1 28-July-2003
- Wrote all code
- Fixed all bugs and wrote all documentation.
- Tested everything.