SurgeMail Change History - Detailed!
Note: For documentation on changes related to SurgeWeb and documentation on all individual specials / beta / release builds see: SurgeWeb Change History.
If you find a bug please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7.2b-11 Fixed crash in save user settings introduced in 7.2b-9.
- 7.2b-10 Added setting(s) to allow spf to over-rule friends more cleanly: Use
g_spf_nofriend "true" g_friends_obey_spf "true" and possibly g_known_skip "true"
- 7.2b-9 Added domain setting suspend_incoming to temporarily block incoming email
to a domain while moving it etc... (also use the suspend setting to block
- 7.2b-8 Fixed handling of obsolete ssl settings, and cleaned up wweb.log issue
with url admin requests. Corrected stopped spf/srs rewriting for surgewall
- 7.2b-7 Added g_imap_search_text, fixed smtp_from_ip to ignore authenticated
- 7.2b-6 Added sha2 support to nwauth, add command line switch -sha2 in
g_authent_process setting to enable. Also requires nwauth 4.3a
- 7.2b-5 Added g_country_login and related settings to block all logins from
outside your geographic region, e.g. "us,nz,au" ideal for smaller systems
where most users are local. Use g_country_allow to list users that are
travelling... Added auth plain to gateway login mechanisms. Fixed cpu loop in
rare web requests.
- 7.2b-4 Improved tellmail ssl_reload and certificate handling code, and added
error messges to the ssl certificate form. Added setting g_msg_nodup which can
prevent duplicates when a message is sent to a user directly and via a mailing
- 7.2b-3 Fixed log entries for user filters to log the reason.
- 7.2b-2 Split g_ssl_ciphers,g_ssl_ciphers_web and g_ssl_disable,g_ssl_disable_web
to adjust protocol and ciphers for web separately, this can be necessary if your
security experts want a crazy subset of ciphers or protocols for web access, but
that set won't work for older mail servers and email clients. Also moved the
individual settings g_ssl_disable* to g_ssl_disable setting that takes a simple
list of the protocols to disable: tlsv1,tlsv1_1,tlsv1_2,sslv2,sslv3, if the _web
versions are not defined then the non _web setting is used as a default.
The g_ssl_disable setting over-rides the older style individual settings
Surgemail 7.2a Beta release 1 June 2016
7.1f-56 fixed duplicates when message is moved from spam folder to inbox.
7.1f-55 nwauth/sync issues completed. Special thanks to
Gal Goldshtein for his assistance identifying cross scripting and
other related issues.
nwauth 4.2m performance improvements.
7.1f-54 Fixes to nwauth syncing sequence in mirrors. Enhanced logging.
7.1f-53 Fixed issue with frame_page, fixed rare crash in main_thread_store(),
added tellmail commands set_global, show_global, set_domain, show_domain.
7.1f-49 Fixed dkim issue with headers in unusual order.e Sent folder if the
g_sent_store "Sent" setting is used and then the email client also appends a
message44 Fixed issue with long dns packets for spf.
- 7.1f-48 documented how to use LetsEncrypt with surgemail
- 7.1f-47 added g_mirror_others setting to mirror to a third or more servers, for
more just list the other servers in this setting. This setting is
experimental. Adjusted breakin detection table size to allow for larger
windows. Undocumented recent fix for attachments in encrypt module...
- 7.1f-46 added .01 whitelist scoring for sf_mfilter.txt
- 7.1f-45 Added g_sent_nodup which makes surgemail try and avoid duplicate
messages in the Sent folder if the g_sent_store "Sent" setting is used and then
the email client also appends a message44 Fixed issue with long dns packets for
- 7.1f-43 Adding g_tarpit_skip_from and g_friends_obey_spf
- 7.1f-42 Fixes for search_body and added g_tarpit_skip and user_auto settings.
- 7.1f-41 Fixed g_header_strip if used with multi line headers.
- 7.1f-40 Fixed bug in g_imap_search_body causing multiple incorrect matches.
Delete 'cindex' folder for each user after updating to fully correct.
- 7.1f-39 Fixed timeout in g_imap_search_body which resulted in false matches.
- 7.1f-38 Fixed fault in g_imap_search_body index building.
- 7.1f-36 Added g_virus_simple_skip and g_virus_simple_skipauth.
- 7.1f-35 Added g_virus_rename_skip and g_virus_rename_skipauth. Fixed
la_view_nnn.tmp files being left around.
- 7.1f-34 Fixed creating of na_1_nnn.tmp files being left around.
- 7.1f-33 Fixed imap issue reading specific length long header lines.
- 7.1f-29 Fixed crash in cimap_stats logging of slow events due to cmdline1 being
freed in some situations.
- 7.1f-27 Fix for fakemid handling.
- 7.1f-26 Added g_mirror_live as recommended setting, fixed url encoding in legal
archive view links (and other places)
- 7.1f-25 Improved mailbox quota warning messages.
- 7.1f-23 Added g_imap_throttle_limit and speed settings to reduce impact of
individual users or faulty clients stuck in a download loop.
- 7.1f-22 Added 60 day expiration to bulletins sent using a rule rather then with
the built in interface.
- 7.1f-21 Modified ssl read/write to avoid re-using bad socket...
- 7.1f-20 Added command tellmail la_convert
c:\old_archives for converting old style archives to legal_archive files.
- 7.1f-19 Added migrated.dat to mirror file list. Made license limit handling
- 7.1f-17 Added g_queue_all and g_queue_spawn which allows running a background
process on messages before they are sent or delivered locally.
- 7.1f-16 Fixed performance issue in mfilter code on linux systems.
- 7.1f-13 Fixed fakemid storing so it is logged in sent entries after retry. Added
- 7.1f-12 Fixed spf lookups involving cname entries. Reverted (removed)
g_ssl_require_out matching for local domains
- 7.1f-11 Improved dlist mirror syncing. Added g_imap_log_size
- 7.1f-10 Added g_bad_login_dumb to allow it to block local trusted addresses
(good for testing maybe)
- 7.1f-9 Fix for g_route_local_ifexists so it allows authenticated senders.
- 7.1f-8 Fix for issue where g_spf_enforce fails for known addresses. if
g_known_skip is true. Added g_route_local_ifexists to prevent rare open relay
situations if g_route_local is used on well known domains, both settings are
needed. With this setting relaying only occurs if the destination user exists
- 7.1f-7 Added g_footer_skipfound which can be used to allow users to send a
specific footer instead of a general one. It should be set to something that is
in the specific footer. g_footer_notfound must also be set to "true"
- 7.1f-6 Added setting to allow a script to be run to convert attachments, see
- 7.1f-5 Adjusted g_imap_idle_free behaviour to respond quickly for the first 10
seconds for outlook as it uses it instead of 'noop'. (Fixes slow 'sync folders')
- 7.1f-4 Made surgemail read dwatch_path from dlist.ini to match dlist process.
- 7.1f-2 Modified avast mutex handling. Fix for large keep setting on g_archive.
Added wsj exception to forgeme.
7.1f-6 attachment conversion feature:
First install the utility to do the conversion, for this example we will convert
'tiff' images to 'pdf' files using the imagemagic utility, install it first:ttp://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php
(available windows and linux)
Then find the path to the 'convert' binary you have installed, test it works
manually to convert a sample tiff file, then add a setting to surgemail:
- g_attach_convert to="" from="" subject="" files="*.tif*" output="%1.pdf"
On linux you might use 'tiff2pdf' instead,
apt-get install libtiff-tools
Create a script cvt.sh in the surgemail folder:
tiff2pdf $1 -o $2
Then add the setting:
g_attach_convert to="" from="" subject="" files="*.tif*"
7.1e - release candidate3>7.1d-6 Fixed imap_idle free handling under load.li>
7.1d-5 Added some logging for imap idle handling.7.1d-2 fixed g_imap_search_index again :-) (new imap load shown with tellmail
7.1d-3 added simple form to add/remove users from a mailing list: see
web/dlist_subscribe.htm for example code
7.1d-4 added more legal archive security log entries.
- 7.1b-8 Tweaked sanity checks for nodots feature.
- 7.1b-7 Fixed bug in zip encoding of multiple attachments for surgevault if old
files left hanging. Fixed two faults in zip_add() code too.
- 7.1b-6 Corrected mutex timeout from 26 seconds back to the normal 3 minutes.
(Faulty time was only in 7.1b-5 builds)
- 7.1b-5 Made mutex handling more resilient to system freezes. Split imap chanels
into busy and idle in status output and added kb/sec. Added some mzip logging.
- 7.1b-4 Added some logging for mzip issue.
- 7.1b-3 Fixed performance issue related to new g_imap_search_index setting
- 7.1b-1 Cleaned up avast startup delays. Fixed Avast restart bug.
Added g_ssl_ciphers_add for more ciphers if your current list exceeds 800 bytes
Surgemail 7.1a Beta
- 7.0f-21 Changed mfilter.rul re-write to be 'soft link' friendly.
- 7.0f-20 Fixed memory leak in png handling for large images.
- 7.0f-16 Fixed fault with dlist/lists.dat not mirroring properly in some
situations which could result in new lists vanishing from the file.
- 7.0f-15 Fixed missing mutex handling on rarely used zip code. Improved
logging of fwd events.
- 7.0f-14 Added correct locking to imap search indexes.
- 7.0f-13 Improved g_bad_login errors to include command tellmail nblogin_clear,
and to prevent blocking logins on an ip address with good history. Imrproved
imap index to correctly cope with headers covering more than 2 lines.
- 7.0f-12 Added g_imap_search_body setting, to accellerate imap search responses
for large folders, there is a storage impact for this setting, but it only
indexes folders that are searched.
- 7.0f-11 Fixed memory leak in thumbnail images.
- 7.0f-9 Added index option for imap search commands, enable with:
G_IMAP_SEARCH_INDEX "true", this should improve search times for the following
- 7.0f-8 Made 'delete_contains' case insensitive. Fixed another imap issues
introduced in 7.0f-6, Disabled avast scan during avast update to prevent
- 7.0f-7 Fixed imap search bug introduced in 7.0f-6
- 7.0f-6 Fixed memory issue with complex imap commands.
- 7.0f-5 Added code to track imap memory issue. Adjusted handling of timeout
in imap folder read to prevent crash.
- 7.0f-4 Fixed fault in nwauth/cram_md5 on osx_intel builds, fixed loop in
- 7.0f-3 Fixed surgeweb sig crash. Added g_crash_nomini setting to disable
minidump on windows (may be useful if crash hangs)
- 7.0f-2 Added setting g_restart_malloc, can be used to force restart, setting is
in 'mb's g_safe_country "us,nz,au" to allow whitelisting smtp logins from
relatively safe regions.
SurgeMail 7.0e - Beta
- 7.0d-9 Allowed cookie files in mirroring.
- 7.0d-8 Added malloc check for massive allocations, and implemented
g_restart_vmsize for osx.
- 7.0d-7 Made g_timezone_force work with fractions for timezones that are offset
by 30 minutes.
- 7.0d-6 Fixed bug with multiple recipients and quota exceeded on one account
resulting in repeated deliveries.
- 7.0d-5 Added g_from_ok and g_rcpt_ok over-rides for invalid addresses, fixed
g_max_bad_to response so it's always sent.
- 7.0d-4 Fixed tellmail binary crash on solaris x86 systems.
- 7.0d-3 Fixed license key handling for dates after 2019.
- 7.0d-2 Fixed bug in popfetch related to encoded messages.
- 7.0d-2 Fixed minor memory leak in thumbnail images in surgeweb.
- 7.0d-2 Fixed date handling for timezones with 1/2 hour offsets.
- 7.0d-2 Minor change to malloc logging.
SurgeMail 7.0c 28-8-2015 New beta
SurgeMail 7.0b 28-8-2015
- 7.0b-8 Fixed logging issue with non users.
- 7.0b-7 g_received_names now accepts wildcards, e.g. *.xyz.com
- 7.0b-6 Fixed issue with g_dkim_sign corrupting headers when not signing a
message for some reason. Fixed g_allow_passzip_from for linux avast.
- 7.0b-5 Minor fixes for winmail.dat processing.
- 7.0b-2 Added setting g_winmail_fix "true", first you will need to install the
tnef extractor application, on linux use apt-get install tnef, on windows
download from http://netwinsite.com/tnef.htm
SurgeMail 7.0a New Release build
6.9d-56 Fixed thread/crashing bug related to g_imap_idle_free setting.
6.9d-53 Corrected issue with calendars disabled by mistake by removal of extra
6.9d-52 Removed legacy thread handling code.
6.9d-51 Bug hunting.
6.9d-50 Thread bug again :-)
6.9d-48 More threadlist bugs fixed.
6.9d-47 Fixed threadlist struct bug, and added setting to enable new spam
handling code G_SF_SANITY2 "true"
6.9d-46 Fixed bug in smalloc debugging code. :-)
6.9d-45 Experimenting with new spam settings (g_spam_bounce_store "true" which
stores rejected spam in Spam_Rejected folder, to enable just set the obsolete
setting per use to bounce email above a level of 14 for g_spam_bounce). Trying adding: !ADH-AES128-GCM-SHA256:!ADH-AES256-GCM-SHA384
to remove anon ciphers.
6.9d-44 add !ADH to cipher to remove any anonymous ciphers.
6.9d-43 Fixed slow memory leak in lib_email_getheaders function usage. Fixed
thread issue related to main_thread_run structure initialization.
Note: g_ssl_ciphers now 'over-rides' g_ssl_perfect default ciphers, if you set
the cipher list manually, then we assume you intended to! :-), added
g_imap_status_stored to recommended settings, minor change to lang guess
handling, new ssl libraries on most platforms.
6.9d-42 Testing new cipher suite:
6.9d-41 Added support for the spamhaus.net domain rbl (note this is a paid
service not a free one and you would need to get 'YUURCODE' to use it, in
general the normal surbl settings should be quite sufficient)
6.9d-40 Fixed imap unseen counts when g_imap_status_stored setting is used./p>
6.9d-39 Fixed fault with VmSize on linux 64bit showing silly numbers due to
linux/malloc/thread handling issue - this may improve performance on linux and
or reduce memory usage. Made g_log_user work for ip addresses for smtp sessions.
Fixed bug in g_virus_simple_zip and added dmalloc debugging to rest of zlib
6.9d-38 added exceptions for safe_smtp for trusted/relay/gateway addresses.
6.9d-37 re enabled G_RENAME_CONTENT a valid setting would be "*application*zip*"
only settings that contain the word "application" will work!!!
6.9d-36 Added g_ssl_disable_tlsv1_1 and g_ssl_disable_tlsv1_2, not recommended.
6.9d-35 Added setting g_restart_vmsize which can be used to auto restart
surgemail if/when it's leaking memory, it's not normally needed. A typical
value for this steting might be g_restart_vmsize "1200", but check the typical
usage on your own system before setting it, a value too low would result in
6.9d-34 Fixed imap crashing issue, maybe.
6.9d-33 Added 90 second startup wait for avast on linux to avoid cpu issue with
timeout on slow startup...
6.9d-32 More imap debugging code added to find a fault.
6.9d-31 Fixed g_virus_simple_zip so it will not reject zip files it cannot
decode. Possible bug fix for imap crash introduced in 6.9d-28
6.9d-30 Added g_imap_status_stored setting to enable imap performance
6.9d-28 Improved cpu issue with mirror handling.
6.9d-27 Fixed handling of g_route so it doesn't apply to local domains unless
g_route_local "true" is set. Increased imap import timeout
to 2 minutes for slow imap servers.
- 6.9d-26 Restored cipher list to:
for g_ssl_perfect setting, this cipher list may not be as perfect but it is
reasonable and seems to allow sufficient backward compatibility.
- 6.9d-25 Debugging for aspam issue.
- 6.9d-23 Fixed fault in imap_import loosing message dates.
- 6.9d-22 Fixed fault in G_DNS_BLANK_FAIL handling.
- 6.9d-21 Fixed issue with blog email address giving error while still working
introduced in 6.9d-19.
- 6.9d-20 fixed language guess handling. Improved g_spam_allow disconnections for smtp sessions. Increased dh param to 2048 and improved cipher list used with g_ssl_perfect setting
- 6.9d-19 responder Improved spam scoring for slightly spammy messages.
- 6.9d-18 Improved spam scoring for slightly spammy messages. Added
security.log and log page for user.cgi and admin.cgi
- 6.9d-18 Main memory leak resolved.
- 6.9d-17 Added g_token_httponly and g_token_secure settings, may prevent
attachments in surgeweb. Also prevents no https usage. Not good settings
for general usage
- 6.9d-17 When user account password changed or suspended any in progress sessions
will be stopped.
- 6.9d-16 Fixed mirroring of loginip.dat data
- 6.9d-14 Fixed cimap_ok bug. Minor memory leaks fixed. (still leaking
- 6.9d-13 Increased line length limit on status time settings.
- 6.9d-12 Fixed handle leak in la_extract, added auto dump.log on crash.
- 6.9d-11 Removed experimental change in sf_train from 6.9d-8, added more sanity
checks to spam score
- 6.9d-10 Added triplet spam mechanism to use good/bad training folders sanely.
- 6.9d-9 Added imap code to remove zero length files that can confuse email
- 6.9d-8 Adjusted sf_train so it ignores user input for rule creation for both
good and bad, setting g_sf_obey_users reverses this.
- 6.9d-7 Performance improvement reduced malloc usage.
- 6.9d-5 Added tellmail freq command to generate some malloc usage statistics.
- 6.9d-4 Fix for bug in list_cookies function
- 6.9d-2 Throttled quota warning emails. Fixed G_FRIENDS_ADD_TRUSTED for
SurgeMail 6.9c Release Candidate
- 6.9b-8 Fixed fault in surgeweb wash code.
- 6.9b-7 Added imap folder delete logging to msg*.rec, added memory use/vmsize to
- 6.9b-6 smtp/user.c crash issue.
- 6.9b-5 Fixed fault in fallback_force setting handling, improved handling of bad
incoming ssl/smtp sessions.
- 6.9b-4 Logging change.
- 6.9b-3 Fixed memory leak introduced in 6.9a. :-)
- 6.9b-2 Modified order of g_from_allow_to handling to fix minor issue.
SurgeMail 6.9a - Release Candidate
- 6.8h-30 Added some more DOS protection to smtp handling.
- 6.8h-29 Fixed duplicate delivery issue with mirroring and large messages on
- 6.8h-28 Fixed cpu loop caused by silly range in imap messages and uid search uid
request. Added encrypt_surgeweb_hide setting
- 6.8h-27 Minor template changes to status at specific times for log/status
- 6.8h-26 Fixed build issue with conflicting variables.
- 6.8h-25 Changed pop/imap file opens on windows to allow rename/delete from other
- 6.8h-24 Surgeweb index fix again.
- 6.8h-23 Surgeweb index fix continued.
- 6.8h-22 Fixes to surgeweb index handling memory issue.
- 6.8h-21 Made legal archive spam setting also archive messages before rules move
- 6.8h-20 Fixed bug in proxy handling introduced in version 6.8h-2 (approx)
- 6.8h-18 Fixed possible fault in thread/mutex handling on linux64.
- 6.8h-17 Fixed memory leak in surgeweb index handling. Added ssl_hsts "true"
setting, not recommended.
- 6.8h-15 Fixed the new spam hourly reports.
- 6.8h-14 Fixed user level spam hour settings, added g_bounce_safe and
g_quota_before_forward, both of which can help prevent back scatter. (Use these
settings if you get unexplained rbl listings)
- 6.8h-13 Added tellmail command, users_setfield, e.g. to adjust the quota of all
users in domain xyz.com who have a username starting 'test' to 400mb, you would
tellmail users_setfield email@example.com quota 400mb
- 6.8h-12 Added user level spam hour setting to specify when spam reports should
be sent. Added setting so you can make the legal archive store messages
that are classified as spam: g_legal_archive_spam
- 6.8h-11 removed caching of fallback mx lookups,
- 6.8h-10 Improved file locking related to friend.lst files.
- 6.8h-9 Fixed tellmail user_setfield, made avast attempt a second auto restart.
- 6.8h-8 Fixed unintentional change to spam training in 6.8b-6 for systems with
g_sf_binary false, and added g_sf_obey_users (which should not be used normally),
fixed missing return-path for surgevault messages.
- 6.8h-7 Fixed issue with attachments in surgevault containing odd characters
- 6.8h-6 (Undo 6.8b-4 change) Made sslv3 is no longer disabled by g_ssl_perfect,
unless you set g_ssl_diable_sslv3 specifically as too many older clients seem to
rely on it.
- 6.8h-5 Fixed user.cgi cross script issues.
- 6.8h-4 Fixed tellmail path giving erroneous errors. (INTRODUCED PROXY BUG fixed
in 6.8h-19 )
- 6.8h-2 Fixed missing images for surgevault by copying www\encrypt folder during
- 6.8h-3 Fixed blogs if using g_surgeweb_process true.
- 6.8h-3 Removed extra blank line added when adding mfilter rules.
Surgemail Beta Build 6.8g
- 6.8-f10 ADded g_virus_strangers, and scan of /var/log/messages on unexpected
restarts for 'surgemail' entries.
- 6.8-f9 Recoded imap migration/import so it can be safely re-used and won't fetch
the same items again.
- 6.8-f8 Fixed hang in windows installer on upgrade (the hang was after the
upgrade completes so can be ignored)
- 6.8-f7 Changes to allow OSX/Yosemite launchd startup to work properly, after
upgrading to Yosemite update surgemail to this version or later, then run:
- 6.8-f6 Fixed logging of 'failed' state, and improved handling when no 'mx' host
returned and 'a' address used.
- 6.8-f5 Fixed fault where settings excluded from mirroring would be removed if
the other server had 'no' matching setting, the problem did not occur if both
servers had 'different' settings.
- 6.8-f4 Made legal archive user level search also show results for aliases of the
- 6.8-f3 Improved tellmail path so it does also report if user account doesn't
exist. Also fixed tellmail lookup to correct host aliases to the real domain
name so lookups work.
- 6.8-f2 Improved g_respond_safer to make it more safe :-), Fixed g_hacker_poison
so it correctly applies to smtp login attempts now.
Surgemail 6.8e Release Candidate
- 6.8d-11 Added setting g_login_log_size
- 6.8d-10 Fixed crash bug caused by tcplib.h erradd LastBytes added in
- 6.8d-9 Added *.jar and *.rar to simple virus list, and added setting to replace
the default list of dangerous file extensions. Made user_status_send ini
settings correctly update when set via the accounts/global/domain spam log page.
- 6.8d-8 Added g_migrate_password and tellmail migrate_password, useful during
migration operations where you need to have a script login to all existing
accounts without knowing their passwords. The password is not defined in
plain text but by using the tellmail migrate_password command to generate a
- 6.8d-7 Fixed dfopen handle issue with g_surgeweb_process when exiting.
- 6.8d-6 Fixed duplicated 'failed' log entries. Made imap max messages send a
manager email when a folder exceeds the built in limits. Note if you get this
warning increasing the limit is almost certainly the wrong solution :-), it's
better for your system performance to get the user to 'organize' their messages.
- 6.8d-5 Added suspended2 and fallback_mx "true" option.
- 6.8d-4 Added user_exists command to http interface.
- 6.8d-2 Made mdir_copy http interface respond with user unknown error if account
does not exist. Modified g_deny and g_country to cope with ipv6 prefixed
Surgemail 6.8c Release Candidate...
- 6.8b-6 Made sf_train ignore the 'bad' folder. Added g_admin_readonly setting, specify system manager accounts that should only have readonly access to the admin interface. Made g_ssl_perfect enforce the good list of ciphers, to over-ride this don't use g_ssl_perfect "true"
- 6.8b-5 Fixed issue with g_surgeweb_process and releasing quarantined messages.
- 6.8b-4 Made sslv3 disabled if g_ssl_perfect is true (this may be causing
ssl errors with old clients, we may change)
- 6.8b-3 Added subject to spam verification web page
- 6.8b-2 Fixed new CSR generation...
Google have announced they are accelerating the move from SHA-1 to SHA-256
hashing so from about November chrome may warn users who visit a website using
SHA-1. This probably means you will need to update any signed certificates used
with SurgeMail. Self signed ones are not an issue (since they already generate
- 6.7f-6 minor fix for g_surgeweb_process if used with g_maildir_netwin
- 6.7f-5 added some logging to resolve mfilter issue
- Added g_ssl_disable_sslv3 "true" setting for poodle ssl issue
- 6.7f-4 netauth mdir_copy will now correctly add files to mirror too.
- 6.7f-2 Applied g_deny_smtp to surgeweb sessions when sending email.
- 6.7f-2 Setting to disable SSLv3: g_ssl_disable_sslv3.
- 6.7d-5 Updated image library to fix surgeweb crash issue.
- 6.7d-4 Added debugging to tcp_read_dot error to help diagnose issues. Added days
parameter to netachive_monthly command to expire a longer period, default 90
- 6.7d-2 Improved legal archive handling so it doesn't lockup delivery during file
transfer to s3
- 6.7d-3 Changed loginip url to default to http, to make https define
Surgemail 6.7c Beta Release
- 6.7b-45 Fixed 'created' date so it's set correctly when accounts are created.
- 6.7b-44 Corrected behaviour of smtp/imap/pop to respond with 'logindisabled'
capability to signify when ssl will be required for logins to work.
Made user specific delivery log work even when friends disabled.
- 6.7b-43 Improved the password reminder code so it would more reliably send out
reminders. (not recommended), template used: password_reminder.eml
- 6.7b-42 Added created date when accounts created with tellmail add_user command.
- 6.7b-41 Changed lockout handling so it remembers and shows the cause, and avoids
locking out addresses that have had good logins in the past.
- 6.7b-40 Fixed crash if message is trained on with g_surgeweb_process true.
- 6.7b-39 g_rename_content removed as could be easily misused and do the wrong
thing (resulting in corrupt messages).
- 6.7b-38 Added imap auth plain handling for compatibility with 'odd/faulty'
- 6.7b-37 Tweaking ssl takeover handling for some timing issue with some ssl
- 6.7b-36 Applied g_friends_url to user status reports.
- 6.7b-35 Fixed auto detection of starttls when sending.
- 6.7b-34 Tweaked trace mutex handling so it can't cause deadlocks.
- 6.7b-33 Tweaked spam sanity checks for improved scoring with g_sf_binary.
- 6.7b-32 Added setting G_RENAME_CONTENT which can be used with g_rename_files to
modify mime types as well, typical setting would be: "application*zip*"
(DISABLED LATER, DO NOT USE, and NEVER SET TO * !!)
- 6.7b-31 Adjusted g_from settings to permit message if sender==from
- 6.7b-30 Added X-Mash header to detect duplicate messages from different sources.
- Improved logging in mail.err if/when ssl certificates fail. Made sure sha256 was
always used for CSR requests.
- 6.7b-28 More changes for SurgeWeb in it's own process.
- 6.7b-27 Experimental setting to move surgeweb to a separate process,
- 6.7b-25 Modified burst behaviour to be more resilient in the face of rename
errors and avoid creating uid gaps.
- 6.7b-24 Fixed g_bounce_paranoid so it obeys g_bounce_to setting.
- 6.7b-23 Made g_user_send_white a multi line setting
- 6.7b-22 tweaked msleep to no less than 20ms in most cases to avoid strange osx
- 6.7b-21 minor changes to thread comparison and mutex code.
- 6.7b-20 turned dmalloc off again due to performance issue.
- 6.7b-18 turned dmalloc on
- 6.7b-17 Added country information to g_safe_smtp email if g_country_ip is
enabled. Minor change to imap idle thread handling
- 6.7b-16 Fixed fault in g_hacker_max handling of password guessing in some
- 6.7b-15 Added setting to give return address for friends status messages.
- 6.7b-14 Minor logging change to friend release to track duplicate issue.
- 6.7b-12 Added daily quota limit for encrypted messages, domain level setting,
- 6.7b-11 Memory leaks and change to na_accounts if 'show' field is set then
username field is not used as search field.
- 6.7b-9 Fixed memory leak (only relevant if you had g_dns_disk "true") introduced
in 6.6d-13 approx.
- 6.7b-8 Minor changes to surgevault forms.
- 6.7b-7 Changed wording for attached files in surgevault
- 6.7b-6 Added some info to mutex crash logging.
- 6.7b-5 Set viewed encrypted messages to no cache in surgevault.
- 6.7b-4 Changed some error responses in surgevault.
- 6.7b-3 Fixed g_breakin_n behaviour.
- 6.7b-2 Fixed legal archive so it can activate without a usertoken if not
SurgeMail Beta Build
- 6.6d-32 fixed g_to_valid to reject empty recipient, added reason field to
g_event_url, made surgevault attachments download rather than open.
- 6.6d-31 Fixed fault in user_auto_always setting.
- 6.6d-30 New SSL libraries. Fixed change watermark.
- 6.6d-29 Improved security of reset password question mechanism.
- 6.6d-28 Added setting g_virus_simple_zip "true" if set surgemail will scan zip
files for suspect attachments (.exe,.bat etc), can be used with g_virus_simple
setting to block dangerous files.
- 6.6d-27 Added domain level setting user_auto_always, this removes password
checking (not for general use!!)
- 6.6d-26 Improved SurgeVault password handling.
- 6.6d-25 Fixed rare divide by zero if time goes back one second.
- 6.6d-23 Fixed replies in surgevault so they will be encrypted unless
G_ENCRYPT_REPLY_PLAIN is specified.
- *6.6d-20 Made the g_hacker data persistent across restarts, added
g_hacker_passwords to list 'bad' passwords which imply guessing. e.g. "password,
passw0rd, Passw0rd, 12345678"....
- 6.6d-19 Fixed g_dns_noptr issue caused by change in dns lookup code. Added
date range option to search page. Fixed bad login counts so smtp logins to
invalid domains are counted. Fixed webdav bug.
- 6.6d-18 Fixed vfork performance issue on linux (related to use of g_spam_cmd),
Fixed kids safe mode so it rejects the message.
- 6.6d-16 Fixed possible crash in lprintf in scmd_rcpt_real code (solaris
- 6.6d-15 fixed bug created by change in 6.6d-13
- 6.6d-13 Fixed some IO issues with mutex handling for the mutexes FEAT and
- 6.6d-12 Added G_FROM_FORCE this can be used to force the From header for all
messages to a particular address. The reply-to header is added if it
doesn't exist with the original 'from' header.
- 6.6d-11 SurgeWeb url code.
- 6.6d-9 Added g_ssl_perfect, if set true then this applies defaults to the ssl
settings that should result in perfect forward security, it also fixes a problem
talking to exchange 2003 over SSL. 2-May-2014
- 6.6d-8 Added domain setting old_pophost_nofetch, can be used to migrate accounts
without fetching messages from a pop server.
- 6.6d-7 Fixed handle leak if sf_binary not fully initialized...
- 6.6d-6 Fixed Android email client issue caused by fix in 6.5b-55 for IOS email
- 6.6d-5 Fixed webadmin log search so it will abort if the search button is
- 6.6d-4 Fixed problem with domain specific web page templates.
- 6.6d-3 Fixed IMAP/IOS fault added in version 6.6b-13
- 6.6d-2 Fixed crash in imap code.
Surgemail 6.6c New Build for SSL issue. 8-April-2014
- 6.6b-16 OPENSSL bug builds
- 6.6b-15 Minor change to spf handling so whitelisting is consistent.
- 6.6b-14 Fixed issue with importing sub folders from lotus notes
- 6.6b-13 Fixed a rare issue with long lines containing colons on char 1001 in
- 6.6b-12 Improved sanity checks in g_sf_binary
- 6.6b-11 Fixed handling of long header in imap 'envelope' code.
- 6.6b-10 Added support for ECDH and DH based ssl cipher keys.
- 6.6b-9 Experimental build with openssl 1.0.1f libraries for windows.
- 6.6b-8 Fixed so local failures won't cause retry events... Added sanity checks
- 6.6b-5 Added g_hacker_fwd, if true then if a user sets a forwarding rule an
email alert is sent to the manager (useful as hackers often set a forwarding
rule after breaking into an account, so this can help identify hacked accounts
- 6.6b-2 Fixed fault with dns lookups returning mx entries in the wrong order in
some situations (where mx priority > 100 and ipv6 enabled)
- 6.6b-3 Reduced chance of mutex issue with m_lookup mutex, and disabled dns disk
cache by default (enable with g_dns_disk "true")
- 6.6b-4 Improved handling of ssl failures on outgoing email, it should now
correctly try non ssl and log failures nicely.
Surgemail 6.6a - Beta build
Wed Mar 5 03:55:43 2014
- 6.5b-67 Added "alert' paramter to expire_rule options, if set to true then the
user will receive a log of expired messages.
- 6.5b-66 Added G_SAFE_ALERT "true" if set then the manager is emailed when a user
fails to login due to g_safe_smtp. Also added an email to the manager when
an ip address is locked out for suspected hacking (enable with g_hacker_alert
- 6.5b-65 Added workaround for bug in Windows Live Mail failing to recognize
messages with NIL imap response to header.fields request.
- 6.5b-63 Fixed fault with IOS 6.x failing to read entire messages due to extra
blank line in header response introduced in 6.5b-55
- 6.5b-62 Changed probe to do safe name to ip lookup with timeout. (to avoid
- 6.5b-61 Added support for return-path in user defined rules
- 6.5b-60 Fixed issue with avast updater changing the cwd due to MAPI calls.
- 6.5b-59 Improved handling of no response from myrbl server. Added lookup
url for g_safe_smtp events
- 6.5b-58 Fixed crash in g_from_body_bounce setting.
- 6.5b-57 Made SNI correctly identify the certificate/domain for host_alias
- 6.5b-56 Added g_expire_onlyunread, if set then only unread messages are expired
in the inbox.
- 6.5b-55 Improved handling of corrupt messages by imap to not confuse faulty IOS
7 email client.
- 6.5b-55 Removed code that disables encryption when forwarding a message (you can
restore behaviour with the setting g_encrypt_nofwd)
- 6.5b-54 Fixed fault with popfetch handling messages that exceed normal line
- 6.5b-53 Changed behaviour for failing to restart authent process to
crash/restart surgemail (as it may unjam the situation)
- Made checks for duplicate uid's more detailed.
- 6.5b-52 added to badto detection list at data stage.
- 6.5b-52 Added tellmail uid_repair (mailbox path), useful if a user gets
duplicates uid's on a mirror.
- 6.5b-51 Modified g_mirror_repair to only run once per month on the 15th.
(Note for safety, this setting should be turned off during a hardware failure of
the master system)
- 6.5b-50 Added G_QUOTA_550 to change quota exceeded response. Added popfetch header to identify messages that were fetched, X-Popfetch: ...
- 6.5b-49 Increased retry limit on network failures at the data sent stage.
- 6.5b-48 Added g_imap_inactive_free setting, to reduce imap thread use when imap
clients use 'noop' rather than idle...
- 6.5b-45 Fixed limit on encrypt messages sent per day so it applies 'per day'
instead of 'per restart'...
- 6.5b-44 Added default fallback to ipv4 if 421 response suggests it.
- 6.5b-43 Added domain level setting ssl_require_login
- 6.5b-42 Increased subject length in received log entry and removed "Body has
- 6.5b-41 Fixed 'inbox' path separator set incorrectly in build 40 below.
- 6.5b-40 Removed 'noinferiors' flag from inbox, it was ignored by most clients
anyway and never enforced.
- 6.5b-39 Added some logging to make it clear which rules causes encryption of
- 6.5b-37 Added G_ENCRYPT_NOIP to allow not encrypting messages relayed by ip. And
added code to skip encryption for forwarded msgs
- 6.5b-36 Added G_FILTER_PIPE_HEADERS to re-read headers.
- 6.5b-35 Possible fix in cimap_free code.
- 6.5b-32 Possible fix in cimap_free code.
- 6.5b-31 Fixed rare deadlock in mfilter if report() function used.
- 6.5b-30 Changed CSR to use SHA256 instead of SHA1
- 6.5b-29 Fixed myrbl array bug. Fixed possible crash in imap_idle code.
- 6.5b-28 Added minor logging addition to track mfilter mutex issue.
- 6.5b-27 Changed default 'from' address for internal messages from g_manager to
- 6.5b-26 Fixed issue with friends/spf checking that might fail if the spam comes
from an orbs forwarding/trusted host.
- 6.5B-25 Added no water mark setting, fixed fault in set_authfield handling.
- 6.4B-24 Fixed rare bug with modifying an access group corrupting some other
- 6.5b-22 Fixed issue with mirroring /pruning long file paths.
- 6.5b-21 Increased default stack size for misc threads.
- 6.5b-20 Fixed memory leak in imap code, added g_friends_silent_level
- 6.5b-19 Fixed bug with renaming folders in 'mirror' configuration.
- 6.5b-18 Made friends bounces apply the g_retry_bounces setting.
- 6.5b-17 Fixed xrealip fault.
- Added g_ssl_honor, when used with a cipher list this may
result in perfect forward encryption (if the other end supports it)
- 6.5B-16 removed uid log file if greater than 1mb./span>
- 6.5b-14 Made stack on windows different for each protocol and
added support for larger address space.
- 6.5b-12 Fixed fault with mirroring of domain level friend.ini
and friend.rul on systems with unmatching mailbox paths.span>
- 6.5b-11 Increased stack size slightly on windows.
- 6.5b-10 Fixed fault with bounces if noencrypt=true
feature in use. Fixed issue with status reports arriving every second day.
- 6.5b-9 Added surgewall setting SURGEWALL_SAVEUSERS to save
the users as they login to imap when in surgewall mode.
- 6.5b-8 Added noencrypt=true option to disable default
encryption when useing g_encrypt_smart feature...
- 6.5b-7 Added logging to smtp sessions to determine cause of
- 6.5b-4 Made g_spam_user_badto stop sending if in the middle
of a message to many users when the limit is exceeded. And added some more
- Added tellmail command to remove duplicates after accidental
repeat migrations, tellmail cleanup_all firstname.lastname@example.org c:\\duplicates\\user
- Security Alert: A bug fixed in 6.3d-29 of SurgeMail might
have allowed security credentials to leak from a surgeweb account setup to use
multiple accounts such that one of the other accounts in the list would also
have access to the group of multiple accounts. If you use multiple
accounts and this might be an issue check by logging into the other accounts to
see if surgeweb brings up the entire list of accounts. This fault does NOT
allow users without credentials to get them.
- 6.5b-3 Made imap_import obey old_imaphost_skip setting.
- 6.5b-2 Fixed imap import folder list exceptions to work with
folders that contain spaces. Added more logging for nightly rules to help
Sep 8 06:30:22 2013
- 6.4b-62 Changed crash handling slightly. Added some
logging for blog stuff to find performance issue....
- 6.4b-60 Changed blog lock handling code, added setting
g_debug_timing to track disk IO usage. Added g_hacker_weak to automatically
block ip addresses of people trying to login with a weak password...
- 6.4b-59 Changed status display for avastpipe option. Added
command to MOVE duplicate mesageid's from a users inbox
- (Use if a migration results in multiple coppies of a message
in a users inbox) tellmail inbox_cleanup email@example.com /var/dups
- 6.4b-56 Optimized friends_always so it won't append to friend
lists that exceed 1mb.. Increased g_thread_max and g_pop_max defaults
- 6.4b-55 Added hacker seting G_SPAM_USER_BADTO which limits
bad recipients for an authenticated user, if exceeded then sending is paused for
30 minutes. A value of 50 might be reasonable as normal users would never
exceed that. A value as low as 10 might be workable. Whitelist
accounts using: G_SPAM_USER_SKIP. An email is sent to the manager account when
this limit is hit!
- 6.4b-54 Improved mutex crash handling slightly to avoid a
possible deadlock. NFS fix reverted as the real fault was something else
probably related to the system in question and this change simply revealed the
issue (or made it worse :-)
- 6.4b-52 Added support for cram-md5 for pop protocol. (Not
recommended, in general ssl/tls is a better choice)
- 6.4b-51 Fixed bug with imap import/migration where it could
remove messages that had failed to import. Also fixed fault with handling of
timeout reset (keep alive) messages from exchange which could confuse the
migration code. Also improved migration code so it would re login if the server
disconnects it while it's fetching messages for a migration.
- 6.4b-50 Made replies to replies to encrypted messages be
encrytped by default by surgeweb...
- 6.4b-49 Fixed fault with nfs drives and burst 'renaming' loop
if file size is reported incorrectly by nfs. (REVERTED IN 6.4b-53)
- 6.4b-47 Fixed fault with 1.00 spam rules.
- 6.4b-46 Fixed fault with multiple pop sessions reading the
same message at the same time.
- 6.4b-45 Fixed quota for accounts migrated via imap.
Added tellmail command tellmail user_setfield user@domain field value
- 6.4b-44 Added support for g_sf_binary manual rule with value
of 1.00 which will mean 'is definitely spam'. Also changed ifnew setting
to work for domains.
- 6.4b-43 Added g_authent_addip to add the ip address as the
3rd parameter to the authent check from imap/pop logins - not for general use.
- 6.4b-42 Added prefixing for x-myrbl header. (corrects spam
handling on messages from surgemail systems)
- 6.4b-41 improved handling for multi line smtp errors (gmail).
- 6.4b-40 added encrypt_ifnew setting to enable the
verify/trust option in surgeweb.
- 6.4b-39 Fixed bug in expire rules, if a time greater than
about 50 years is specified then it would cause an overflow and expire
- 6.4b-39 Made surgevault display cc/to correctly matching
- 6.4b-38 Added g_inbox_archive, g_sent_archive and domain
level setting inbox_archive, these specifies the age at which messages should be
moved out of the inbox/sent folder into the appropriate Archives/YYYY/Inbox (or
Sent) folder. This can dramatically improve system and perceived
performance as imap email clients waste a lot of resources and time dealing with
large inbox/sent folders. You can manually trigger the nightly
process with the command tellmail mail_rules
- 6.4b-36 Fixed fault in ip to country code, it was failing to
match some ranges correctly
- 6.4b-19 Fixed intermittent failure to recognize non fake
bounce messages due to mime encoding.
- 6.4b-18 Fixed bug in domain quota message which would have no
subject and fail to tell the user that it was a 'domain' quota issue if a
quota.eml template does exist and a quota_domain.eml template doesn't exist.
- 6.4b-17 Added setting for max items in a folder to mirror,
and increased default to 160000 g_mirror_max
- 6.4b-16 Fixed logging issue on startup, fixed problem with
Legal Archive bucket name change so it always uses the correct old and new
- 6.4b-15 Fixed fault with invalid reverse DNS entries allowing
- 6.4b-13 Made CSR signing use SHA1 instead of MD5 since some
signing authorities now complain about MD5. The setting to do this is now
- 6.4b-13 Made Legal Archive use native Amazon instead of
DevPay (this will reduce costs long term and makes the files visible via your
Amazon console), if upgrading you must enter a key pair from your amazon
account and then use the tellmail la_transfer command to move data to your main
s3 data area.
- 6.4b-12 Fixed fault with quota handling that would in some
situations allow a user to get multiple quota warnings in one day.
- 6.4b-10 Added setting to throttle ssl renegotiation (not
- 6.4b-8 Added G_SPAM_USER_WARN, used to set a warning
point, if the user sends this many messages in one day, then they get an email
warning them to change their password or ask for a higher send limit if they
were actually sending that many messages. The setting
g_spam_user_max must also be set (and to a higher value!)
- 6.4b-7 Added g_create_pass_recheck, combined with
g_hack_touser it will alert users with passwords that don't match your 'current'
password requirements and ask them to change them.
- 6.4b-7 Removed legacy code writing to surgehost.ini unless
g_webmail_save is set true. (Fixes deadlock issue)
- 6.4b-5 Fixed problem whereby one bad ssl certificate would
prevent some or all ssl certificates from loading, also improved logging so
mail.err reports which certificate is bad.
- 6.4b-4 Removed possible deadlock in vini error logging
(occurs rarely when surgemail.ini contains syntax errors)
- 6.4b-2 Added header decoding to mfilter subject.
- 6.4b-1 New Beta Release (May 7th, 2013)
- (Dkim bug fix related to leading full stops)
- 6.3d-80 Automatically skip several known bad rbl servers
(njabl.org and trusted-forwarders.org)
- 6.3d-79 Fixed exception rules to use headers added during
processing as well as those in the message.
- 6.3d-78 Fixed imap search on command
- 6.3d-77 Added G_ENCRYPT_RESET_SENDER to define message
sent to 'sender' when password reset is requested.
- Added g_virus_report_user, if enabled the recipient is sent a
message when a virus is blocked, this setting is not recommended for normal use
as in general telling recipients about viruses they didn't get is just
- 6.3d-76 Added some logging to track nightly load issue
- 6.3d-75 Fixed devide by zero in cimap_detect_loops if time
goes backwards one second.
- 6.3d-74 Added domain level settings status_url
- 6.3d-73 Made g_smtp_maxbad 1000 the default, and added delay
for bad commands to prevent wasted cpu.
- 6.3d-73 Added G_HACKER_PASSWORD which detects hackers and
blocks them from guessing, it detects if the username is used as the password
- 6.3d-69 Performance bug fixed in surgeweb, added in
- 6.3d-63 Changed default domainkey size to 1024 (it was 2048
which made annoyingly large keys) Also added input field so you can specify this
when generating your dkim private key.
- 6.3d-62 Corrected quota exceed smtp return code from 554 to
- 6.3d-56 Fixed G_VIRUS_ALLOW_UNMONITORABLE for non windows
- 6.3d-54 Added g_date_add_utc to add utc timezone if none
- 6.3d-43 Added mdir_delete function to http netauth functions
- 6.3d-20 Added setting g_user_access_webonly, if set then user
access rules like 'spam,filter,virus' only stop the web user interface (so users
cannot mess with settings) but doesn't stop the action of spam,virus checking
etc for that user.
- Fixed slow memory leak in pop/migration import.
- 6.3d-19 Added config checker code to test g_dns_host with a
couple of rbl and mx lookups. Note using a public dns like google's 184.108.40.206
servers will stop rbl lookups working correctly, you must use a real local dns
server (your isp will almost certainly be providing one)
- 6.3d-18 Fixed crash in fedora (or new glibc) due to crypt()
returning null on bad input. (fix is in nwauth and surgemail)
- 6.3d-17 Added Message-ID to expire messages.
- 6.3d-17 Fixed fault with ucount2.dat growing very large when
deleting a large domain.
- 6.3d-17 Added options to user creation API to create folders
and populate mdir folder with files. New options are
&create_folders=Folder1,Folder2&mdir_copy=xmdir_template, this would create
Folder1, Folder2, And it would copy (surgemail root)/xmdir_template files into
the new users 'mdir' folder.
- 6.3d-16 Fixed problem with SurgeWall domains not applying
blocklist entries. Revert behaviour with G_SURGEWALL_IGNORE_ERROR
- 6.3d-15 Fixed slow memory leak in imap list command.
- 6.3d-12 Improved mirror handling if slave is NOT set to allow
config changes and a resync_config has never succeeded.
- 6.3d-11 Fixed minor domain admin issue, fixed spf handling
for ipv6 rules, fixed
- encrypt reply messages double line spacing issue.Fixed bug with /bind in gateway setting causing bad dns
- Fixed problem with resync_config on a new mirror destroying
an existing ini file if the first attempt to sync fails.
- 6.3d-10 Increased size of sf_mfilter scanning to 40k to help
with spam filtering..Added g_migrate_onsmtp, if true it will do a migration if a
user does an smtp login as well as pop / imap...
- Fixed problem with imap envelope response for very long list of recipients. recipients.
- Fixed possible memory leak in pair append from imap header read of 'message'.
Patch to change to non debugging malloc, and fix crash on linux 64bit installer.
Dec 13 04:49:20 2012
- Improvements to spam settings to make it easier to set good defaults and easier
for users to adjust their settings.
- Added g_sf_binary setting to enable an alternative spam scoring mechanism.
- Lots of little bug fixes.
- Enahcements to encryption feature to allow downloading messages and attachments
- Many/minor settings added.
Surgemail 6.0 Features
Companion Email Client for Window,Mac,IPhone, Ipad released: YesImOnline email client beta
Quota system improved to recover better from unclean shutdowns
Imap settings added:
Auto subscribe to public folders
Auto unsubscribe from deleted folders
Put all sent messages in the named folder.
Other settings added:
SECURITY_SUFFIX - Domain
based setting to stop hackers guessing accounts, this requires
everyone to login with a different suffix from their actual domain
name, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org would login as email@example.com
Added SNI SSL/DOMAIN support with a single ip address.
SurgeWeb - Summary
Multiple Account support!
Access to Legal Archive
Multipart related image support in the signatures to support "business card" type images as part of the signature.
Emoticon icon support as multipart related inline images when composing a message
Ability to add multipart related inline images when composing messages. Includes serverside rescale and crop facility as part of the upload dialog.
Signature improvements - now supports multiple signatures, of unlimited size, with the ability to set the default for each additional account.
- Full details of SurgeWeb changes.
Misc Bug Fixes including...
html_bounds bug fix.
Bug fix for chrome editing blog posts
Fixed truncation of ipv6 headers - 6.0b-22
Surgemail 5.0 New Features
- New Spam handling see http://netwinsite.com/surgemail/help/myrbl.htm
- New Legal Archive - http://netwinsite.com/surgemail/help/legal_archive.htm
- SurgeWeb - New Improved Web Email Interface - changes
- New settings to prevent/reduce harvesters and hackers, see
- New basic support for Amazon SES - http://netwinsite.com/surgemail/help/amazon-ses.htm
- New Basic IPV6 support added
- Imap public folders improved.
- SurgeVault - See here for details
- WebDav support - See here
- New G_FRIENDS_BOUNCE_FRIEND
"true" - This makes friends 'bounce/reject' exceptions work even
if the person is a friend.
- New g_inbox_max "int" -
This setting will stop users leaving lots of message
in their inbox
- New G_INBOX_NOLIMIT
"int" - Use for special users who are not subject to the
normail message count limit on their inbox (g_inbox_max)
- New g_outgoing_n "int"
- New settings to identify outgoing spam and email the manager
if a limit is exceeded for any particular user per day.
- Blacklist ip addresses and block incoming email based on
train/spamtrap hits, see: g_black_isspam
- New capcha to bounce messages.
- FIX: RBL timeouts are now more reliable with multiple lookups.
- FIX: ASPAM updates now more reliable on certain networks
(failing on some).
- FIX: vanish_bad_bounces - broken in version 5
- FIX: Quota drift issue - deleted messages weren't being
removed from quota in some circumstances.
- Fix: Memory Leaks
- Fix: Various crashes and improved performance.
- Fix: Issues with friends confirmation emails.
- Fix: redirect_cc -
Failed with comma separated lists.
- Fix: File handle leaks.
- Fix: imap handling where wrong message body could be delivered
- Fix: imap issue that caused problems with outlook
- Fix: Timezone issues
- Fix: imap/pop lockups in some circumstances.
- Fix: g_fix_crcrlf
"bool" - caused corruption of messages
SurgeMail features of possible general interest added in recent
months (as of 4.2g-26, February 2010):
- Blacklist ip addresses and block incoming email based on
train/spamtrap hits, see: g_black_isspam
- New settings to prevent/reduce harvesters and hackers, see
- New setting to block well known hackers/harvester, see
g_honeypot* settings (not recommended)
- Prevent local address harvesting, g_dlist_nolocal true
- Basic IPV6 support added
- Manager warning when smtp thread count exceeded
- Disable smtp authentication for non trusted addresses see:
g_smtp_auth_off, g_smtp_auth_ip or g_relay_allow_ip
- Block outgoing email to known phishing addresses (dubious
value) g_spam_phishing "true"
- Setting to reject any email with surbl web content (spam urls)
g_surbl_reject bool (reduces spam but will cause some false
- Check whois info on suspect urls (this is unwise for busy
servers as it may get your server blacklisted with the whois
servers) A cache is used to minimize the load. (g_surbl_reject
true) (Requires 4.2g-27, prior to that not stable!)
- Imap public folders improved.
- SurgeVault - See here for details
- WebDav support - See here
- g_safe_smtp (requires 4.3f-20 or later) this setting prevents
smtp authentication unless the net block has had a successful
imap/pop login (this pervents most hackers sending spam via your
server even after they guess a valid password)
Version not yet released but being currently worked on :
- New: Lots of surgeweb
features, and various fixes and other new features. A new
full beta build will be done soon, and notes documenting all
changes will be added soon.
- New: g_bull_rule new
controls for bulletin access.
- New: g_breakin_white -
new spammer detection.
- New: G_SMTP_PORTFORCE
- Enforce smtp authentication 'only' be used on the ports
- New: g_redirect_cc_attach
- this feature lets you send messages 'exactly as they look
on delivery to a user and only the messages that get delivered,
to another account, as mime
- New: updated SSL version used in Windows.
- New: Added ownership to archives, The owner gets an 'archives'
button in their user self admin page.
- New: Added honeypot support http://www.projecthoneypot.org
- New: Improved dlist speed with large messages, 10-30 times
- New: Support for ip checks in any ip setting for ipv6
addresses and fixed several bugs with ipv6.
- Fix: error that causes bounces to be sent still in the
- Fix: many bugs and optimisations.
- Fix: not handling quotes properly in an email address.
- Fix: file handle leak.
- Fix: an issue with case checks on vdomains.
- Fix: issue with imap code deleting wrong message in rare
- Fix: NDB on 64bit linux and also with larget bucket files over
2 gigs also some other fixes with the NDB code that could cause
- Fix: Several bugs that could cause crashes.
- Fix: g_authent_always
- was completely broken.
- Fix: Issues with mirroring and surgevault and a minor issue
with mirror flags.
- Fix: Mirroring issue with responders.
- Fix: Issue with blog permissions.
SurgeMail 4.2d4-4 17-February-2010 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- Fix: Patch of current production release for crashing bug for
certain oddly formatted spam messages.
- Fix: Fixed missing files in the help pages installed on the
SurgeMail 4.2d3-3 28-January-2010 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- Fix: Get the "download all fix" noted in surgeweb changes into
the production release distributions. Possible signs of this
issue having been hit: Major jumps in diskusage by the surgeweb
folder, restart reports in startstop.log referring to MZIP
mutex. Note: Subsequent to this build (4.2d3-3) it was noted
that if this issue is hit, these temp folders files are not
actually getting deleted after a few days as I thought they
were, this is fixed is in builds 4.2g-6+ (or if this space needs
to be recovered more urgently manually delete large
attachments.zip files in the surgemail/surgeweb/work tree).
SurgeMail 4.2d2-2 5-December-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- Fix: Several surgeweb fixes already in the 42e* builds
SurgeMail 4.2d-1 5-November-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- New: SurgeWeb changes as per: surgeweb changes
- Fix: Prevent invalid pstat entries that were getting created
on some systems and fix the current pstat.dat database (some
systems this was HUGE)
- Fix: Windows only system library timezone bugfix to fix the
off by one hour issue
- Fix: Fixed occasional unreliability of nwauth mirrorring
(required both mirrored servers to be upgraded)
- Fix: Bug if g_friends_add_trusted used
- Fix: Several sporadic crashing bugs
SurgeMail 4.2a3-3 9-October-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- Fix: Doing a surgeweb "download all" of multiple attachments
with no file extension and the same name crashed surgemail
- Fix: Surgeweb forwarding a message with attachments or forward
attach was losing the attachment at send time if using the basic
- Fix: Friends processing bugfix
SurgeMail 4.2a2-2 24-September-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- New: Extensive improvements to the SurgeWeb "Ajax / Web 2.0"
web email interface (for more information see surgeweb changes, and known bug list )
- New: SurgeVault email encryption (feature is PRERELEASE -
contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to try
- New: Force use of ssl on webmail/surgweb/user.cgi (but not
blogs and surgeplus) using g_ssl_require_web
- New: Improved DNS handling sending requests to multiple
- New: Split g_from_valid into g_from_valid (recommended) and
g_to_valid (unwise to use)
- New: Allow use of spaces in passwords (NOT RECOMMENDED) using
g_authent_spaces and nwauth 4.0r+
- New: To header added to the HTML spam status email
- Fix: Domain quota issue (not workign if mailbox had trailing
- Fix: Naked LF could slip through in very specific
- Fix: Some imap response fixes to make sure thunterbird did not
get confused sometimes wrt showing new messages
- Fix: Retry times were not getting obeyed for messages that
could not even open a connection to the destination server
- Fix: Webmail trash emptying related quota drift issue
- Fix: Two mutex related fixes
- Fix: Some imap response fixes to make sure thunterbird did not
get confused sometimes wrt showing new messages
- Fix: Minor IPV6 fixes
SurgeMail 4.0v-8 3-June-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- New: Surgeweb searching revamped - works across multiple
folders, and messages have "search by subject" (thread) /
"search by address" conversation history with sender. For more
info see surgeweb changes
- New: HTML "spam status" message (status_html.eml) that allows
friends pending spam store actions to be done from normal mail
client. Actions allowed: delete message; deliver message; purge
spam store; show log. To revert old behaviour use
- New: Linux builds now support "Load factor" and "CPU
utilisation" in trend graphs
SurgeMail 4.0u4 10-June-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-12)
- Fix: memory leak fixed in probe code
- Fix: webmail has correct version number
- Fix: domain with letters a-f only fix is actually in this
SurgeMail 4.0u3 28-May-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-11)
- New: Continued improvements to the SurgeWeb "Ajax / Web2" web
email interface (for more information see surgeweb documentation, surgeweb changes, and known bug list )
- New: Blogs make use of surgeweb cross browser html editor -
old editor / text mode can be enabled per blog in advanced
- New: Basic support for IPV6 under windows and linux (beta and
- Fix: webmail template fix so that the html editor is not
displayed for IE8 (the same as has always been done for IE7).
The fix is part of this build - the webmail version was upped to
3.1t-12, but the incremented version number did not make it into
the build :-(
SurgeMail 4.0k 10-April-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-11)
- New: Continued improvements to the SurgeWeb "Ajax / Web2" web
email interface (for more information see surgeweb documentation, surgeweb changes, and known bug list )
- New: User.cgi has a blocklist feature (just like friends but
blocks by address) so you can block by address without having to
add a zillion filtering rules
- Fix: Trend graphing overflow problem + several fixes to
several issues that became apparent as result of first fix
- Fix: Mirrorring of settings that don't exist on the master
- Fix: CPU bug if ports were disabled
- Fix: IMAP idle command was not showing new messages under
certain conditions for non inbox folders
- Fix: Timezone related "out by one hour" fix for windows 2003
- Fix: Several fixes dlist member removal via web admin
- Fix: Several fixes to surgeplus photo sharing
- Fix: Crash when some messages (generally spam) were viewed
- Fix: Archive viewer was missing the last 30 odd characters of
- Fix: Forward / responder was failing to respond and deliver
locally in some circumstances
- Fix: Mutex locking problems on multicpu servers
- Fix: Made g_imap_timeout apply to the idle command
- Fix: Dlist memory leak
- Fix: Lockup if authent module doesn't respond nicely to
SurgeMail 4.0a 5-January-2009 (Webmail 3.1t-10)
- New: SurgeWeb new "Ajax / Web2" high performance web email
interface (still being worked on though, for more information
see surgeweb documentation,
surgeweb changes, and known bug list )
- New: New archive searching interface with CRC validation to
confirm the messages in the achive have not been tampered with
- New: Arbitrary error translation of error messages
- New: Setting to adjust max number of messages in a folder
(g_imap_max_messages) - defaults to 200,000
- New: Imap burst loggin to delivery log so message->uid
renames can be traced
- New: Default page not returned for invalid cgi requests -
stops "dumb tools" reporting surgemail as compromised (old
behaviour can be restored with g_web_old_behaviour)
- New: Bounce other messages if first message is mending
awaiting friends bounce (g_friends_bounce_second)
- New: Require friend confirmation if email appears to be in
language not in list of accepted languages
- Fix: High use reports were getting confused by addresses
longer than 100 characters (these get truncated in the delivery
- Fix: Thunderbird timeout with large imap folders
- Fix: Tellmail archive search fixes for: g_maildir_netwin, date
based archive before first rollover
- Fix: Sporadic crash in archive extract
- Fix: SPF related fix where DNS errors sometimes generated
- Fix: Message attachments sometimes not showing in Thunderbird
- Fix: CR/LF handling when attaching footer files on unix
- Fix: In FF3 the admin interface login resulted in multiple
login dialog boxes
- Fix: Editing dlist/lists.dat directly in raw format from admin
interface sometimes deleted it completely
- Fix: Responder now works when late forwarding isused
- Fix: Webmail APOP was sporadically crashing webmail
- Fix: Avast for windows would stop messages with very high
compression ratio with an error, these are now allowed and
logged with a "possible compression bomb" warning
- Fix: Address was being synched when mirrorring config files,
address field is now not mirrorred
- Fix: Improvements to the noforgeme handling
- Fix: Bounce handling of surgewall filtering rules
- Fix: Admin login spodarically "froze" due to file lock on
- Fix: A number of other minor fixes
SurgeMail 3.9g2 18-June-2008 (Webmail 3.1t-7)
- Security: Minor issue allowing imap command to crash surgemail
SurgeMail 3.9g 13-June-2008 (Webmail 3.1t-7)
- New: Allow headers "exists" check in users filtering rules
- New: Allow raw message content to be dispalyed from user cgi
spam and friends pages
- Fix: User filtering "or rules" were not correctly handled
- Fix: Imap login on mirror server was not deleting old messages
- Fix: Originating ip and orbs headers not added for
- Fix: Various other various minor fixes
SurgeMail 3.9e 10-April-2008 (Webmail 3.1t-7)
- Fix: Minor new IMAP module fixes
- Fix: Several other minor fixes
SurgeMail 3.9c 14-March-2008 (Webmail 3.1t-7)
- Fix: pstat database file backed up and cleared when switching
binaries with incompatible data types (eg. switching 32 / 64 bit
binaries) - previously this would corrupt pstat database
- Fix: Blacklist related crash fixed
- Fix: Improved quota handling in new imap code
- Fix: Reduced disk loading on webmail (due to reduced flushing)
- Fix: Variety of other minor fixes
SurgeMail 3.9a 31-January-2008 (Webmail 3.1t-5)
- Fix: Linux 64 bit webmail issue (introduced Nov 2007)
- Fix: New IMAP fix
SurgeMail 3.8u 25-January-2008 (Webmail 3.1t-4)
- New: New setting g_spam_from_blacklist
- Fix: OSX mail client not handling some imap responses nicely
- Fix: Improved UIDL handling in new IMAP implementation
- Fix: Correctly keep imap flags during migration, this was
broken by new imap implementation.
- Fix: Corrected html footer handling under some circumstances
- Fix: Corrected surgemail and webmail handlig of "%" when
listing imap folders. NOTE: If you upgrade the surgemail binary
and not webmail binary, users mail folders will seem to
disappear from webmail. To correct this add "imap_list_* true"
or make sure both webmail is upgraded with surgemail.
SurgeMail 3.8s 7-January-2008 (Webmail 3.1t-1)
- New: IMAP folder based access to friends pending
- New: IMAP folder based access to aspam training folders
- New: New spam prevention settings: g_from_valid,
g_bounce_suggest, g_from_noforge, g_from_noforgeme,
g_max_bad_ip, g_max_bad_ip_time, g_msg_max_drop.
- New: Miscellaneous new settings: gateway_to, old_pophost_bind,
g_bind_incoming, g_friends_short, g_friends_ignore_trusted,
g_friends_url, g_log_dropped_disable, g_rcpt_trace,
g_redirect_ignore_errors, g_retry_unwarn, g_send_helo_in,
g_spf_web_url, g_ssl_ciphers, g_ssl_disable_sslv2,
- Fix: Several fixes to the new IMAP implementation
- Fix: Webmail smooth template enabled for safari 2.0.4+ (Was
already mostly operational for safari but several minor changes
- Fix: user.cgi editing last filter in filter list would delete
it rather than save it
- Fix: Variety of other fixes and minor performance enhancements
SurgeMail 3.8q 26-November-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-18)
- New: Rewritten more efficient IMAP implementation
- Fix: Webmail' clickable links would sometimes be broken /
display missing chunks from message
- Fix: Web Friends & account rename was partly broken for
non primary domains
- Fix: Blogs bug that allowed two blogs of same name except for
- Fix: Blogs postings with '<' or '>' characters is now
- Fix: Webmail message list confusion when fetching mail from
servers with with case sensitive POP UIDs (eg MS Exchange)
- Fix: Admin interface log searching would sometimes return an
incorrect empty result.
SurgeMail 3.8o 30-August-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-12)
- Fix: Get packet fix into latest release too
SurgeMail 3.8k4 29-August-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-6)
- Fix: Improved version of the TCP packets small in relation to
SMTP headers fix in 3.8k3
SurgeMail 3.8k3 28-August-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-6)
- Fix: Rather nasty bug that could corrupt message text if
message headers were sent 1 TCP packet at a time.
SurgeMail 3.8m 20-August-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-11)
- Security: IMAP buffer overun (affecting logged valid email
- Fix: Variety of minor surgemail and webmail and fixes
SurgeMail 3.8k2 20-August-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-6)
- Security: IMAP buffer overun (affecting logged valid email
SurgeMail 3.8k 26-June-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-6)
- New: SPF additional option 'nohard' and g_spam_grey_nohard to
allow SPF to be softened further.
- New: Made blogs lists sortable
- New: Added mouse click handling to webmails address
- Fix: Report generation failure if authentication db entries
were larger than 1KB
- Fix: Webmail crashing bug if retrieving external accounts and
mailbox was emtpy (recently added)
- Fix: g_archive message extraction (via tellmail
archive_extract) was failing when an external filter had
modified the message content
- Fix: Variety of other minor fixes
SurgeMail 3.8i3 10-May-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-4)
- Fix: Webmail version numbering tidyup. Webmail 3.1s-1 in
surgemail build 3.8i2 was patched for security fix but version
number not updated. To be absolutely certain you have the
security fix make sure you are running the webmail executable
version 3.1s-4 (either from surgemail build or standalone
SurgeMail 3.8i2 9-May-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-1)
- Security: Webmail security fix (all versions of webmail should
SurgeMail 3.8i 26-March-2007 (Webmail 3.1s-1)
- New: Enhanced blogs security settings to limit blog comment
spam (+ new setting g_blogs_cleanup_links)
- New: Verification images (primarily used in blogs) are now
distortion based (+ new setting: g_verify_image_hard
- to make images even harder to crack - and read)
- New: Webmail addressbook autocompletion (off by default,
enable with webmail.ini 'enable_autocomplete 1')
- New: Clicking "find config setting"search links highlights the
- New: g_proxy_webmail
- Redirect user.cgi logins to external host name
- New: Allow ||remoteip|| macro to be used in g_smtp_noauth
- New: Added support for 'user' token in "max_in"
- New: g_bind_byfromip
- Bind outgoing connections by sender ip
- New: Windows avast obeys g_vpipe_skip
- New: Extended "tellmail finduser" syntax to support wildcards
- Fix: (NASTY) If older than "n month" user.cgi mailbox rule
processing crossed year boundary matched wrong date
- Fix: Webmail inbox corruption where some messages on list pane
would get subject and addressing info from other messages
- Fix: Webmail null messages in inbox after login fixed
- Fix: Webmail fix WYSIWYG disabled for windows Vista (as MS no
longer supports method used by webmail)
- Fix: Webmail sporadic bug that webmail would log out out
immediately on first login
- Fix: Webmail would eat the first characters of headers (of
particular note the From header) if header did not have a space
after the colon
- Fix: Webmail fix to make the display of mht messages more
- Fix: Webmail smooth template only fix that could delete
messages instead of move them under an obscure set of actions on
the "move to folder dropdown".
- Fix: Webmail - attachments sent via webmail had a CR/LF
appended at end
- Fix: IMAP import date handling so date is correct on migrated
- Fix: IMAP import bug that would fail to import folders if the
destination server sent list responses with a trailing space
- Fix: IMAP import fix where sometimes processed folder count
would get incorrectly displayed as zero
- Fix: IMAP import folder subscription handling if account
- Fix: Domain admin log file search fix (on the first 9 days of
the month, on unix systems, the domain admin msg.log
delivery log search would not match any messages)
- Fix: Under certain conditions 'and' rules were being processed
as 'or' rules
- Fix: Domain selection, if more than g_domain_list_max domains,
on spam control, redirection, migration page
- Fix: Mailing list delete member handling if member has '_'
character in name.
- Fix: Mailing list member sorting was broken about 6 months ago
- Fix: g_smtp_fix_nohead was broken in some cases
- Fix: default value handling with g_user_status_send
- Fix: Deletion of exception rules containing a quote character
- Fix: Removal of domain settings on mirrored host in some
- Fix: Sporadic crashes in domain keys handling
- Fix: Limits large file uploads under blogs
- Fix: FProt dot stuffing fix
- Fix: If g_send_speed was <500 bytes/s large messages would
timeout due to buffering
- Fix: Minor memory leak in SSL connection handling
- Fix: Bug in signup per day limits
- Fix: sendmail_surge.ini handling fixed
SurgeMail 3.8f3 12-January-2007 (Webmail 3.1r-13)
- New: Blogs ping timeout added
- Change: Reduced stack size limits (reduction of max
- Fix: 4 fixes relating to uncommon crash conditions.
SurgeMail 3.8f2 8-November-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-13)
- Fix: Fixes related to g_include, and use of g_default_domain
SurgeMail 3.8f 30-October-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-13)
- New: g_mirror_nwauth_always
- Always mirror nwauth even if using other authentication module
- New: Changed default install to set recommended settings on by
- Fix: fix to dlist search command
- Fix: possible timeout problem due to invalid responses to ehlo
- Fix: Several fixes that could cause crash in unusual
- Fix: ndb performance related fix
- Fix: Log file searching smarts fix (recently broken)
SurgeMail 3.8d 13-October-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-13)
- New: g_friends_confirm_debug
- Allow debugging of friends confirmation messages by logging
friends actions to friend_confirm.log.
- New: mailing list "modify members" can now search based on
- New: Add senders from ip address to relevant users log
- New: tellmail "-q" command line option added to run in quiet
mode only outputting result of commands
- New: Copy and edit added to user filters and exceptions page
- New: g_mirror_nwauth_always
- Always mirror nwauth even if using other authentication module
- New: g_surbl_skip_ip
- Skips surbl lookups if the sender is from a listed ip
- New: Support for syslog server using g_log_syslog, g_log_syslog_host, g_log_syslog_only
- Fix: The way the date is stored on mailing list archives
changed so that moving files with tar can preserve date
- Fix: Domainkeys signing fix
- Fix: mailing list fix such that web_hide_email woks in
- Fix: Truncation of long lines on domain admin log file
- Fix: Blogging of images fixed (recently broken)
- Fix: Friends template message header fix
- Fix: Domainkeys multiple txt record lookups (eg as used by
- Fix: Viewing of html messages cpu loop fix
- Fix: Date displayed for SPF user.cgi log lines conrrect for
front end / backend systems
SurgeMail 3.8b 28-August-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-12)
- New: g_sms_forward -
This setting allows you to specify IP's which can send to an
sms="TRUE" gateway without being authenticated. Normally only
smtp authenticated senders can use these because we need to be
sure the sender really is the person sending, not someone faking
their address (in order to decrement the correct users quota).
However, if you can already guarantee the sender, or you don't
care then you can use this setting. This allows your list server
(dlist) to send to SMS numbers, for example.
- New: surgewall_auth -
user="username" pass="password" - Makes SurgeMail use SMTP AUTH
when delivering to the SurgeWalled server.
- New: g_spam_share -
This lets surgemail share whitelisting information to improve
scoring and avoid annoying spf bounce issues
- New: g_friends_always
- Allows user's friends setting to be overridden
- New: Ability to view messages from user.cgi mailbox page &
admin interface (requires g_user_mail_view)
to see whether they are spam etc
- New: Additional settings to tweak SPF operation: g_spf_nogrey, g_spf_noallow, g_spf_enforce_local
- New: g_blogs_domonly
- Make listed blogs page only show blogs in same domain as
logged in user
- New: tellmail append_ini and append_lists command to append
ini file sections
- New: "tellmail lookup recipient@domain" shows whether
recipient is user / alias / mailing list etc.
- New: Ability to restore deleted domains (can restore domain +
nwauth entries + users mail, not any originally deleted domain
settings, aliases and mailing lists)
- Fix: g_orbs_check_all "true" caused g_orbs_late "true" to
- Fix: was not correctly stamping when g_orbs_list was setup to
deal with multiple responses. eg g_orbs_list
- Fix: g_orbs_check_all "true" caused g_orbs_late "true" to
- Fix: Encoded email headers now get correctly decoded prior to
filtering rules getting applied
- Fix: Send channel thread creation leak (freebsd only)
- Fix: Skip spf / grey bounce user setting related bug
- Fix: (g_)user_status_send not getting properly applied in
- Fix: Blogs related UTF-8 charactr encoding fix
- Fix: recently added overzealous validity checking on
- Fix: g_domainkeys_sign cr/lf bug
- Fix: Exceptions / filters page behaviour for surgewall domains
SurgeMail 3.8a 27-July-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-8)
- New: g_forward_attach
- SurgeMail will send emails as attachments for specified
domains when using late forwarding.
- New: SurgeMail supports CIDR format in ip based settings.
- New: g_domainkeys_check
- Check incoming DomainKeys signatures (beta)
- New: g_domainkeys_sign
- Sign outgoing messages (create a key first using web admin)
- New: g_domainkeys_selector
- Policy name for your server (used creating dns entry for
- New: g_domainkeys_only
- Domains to sign for outgoing email
- New: g_user_friends_log_disable
- This disables the logging of lines to the users friends.log
files (the users "log" page).
- New: g_friends_old -
restores old friends behaviour
- New: g_spf_byweb -
Description below in g_friends_byweb
- New: g_friends_byweb
- These settings enable the use of a link to "allow" bounced
and/or friends pending messages. The link returns a page with a
verification image, the user enters the number shown and clicks
"Add IP" or "Release message" depending on the context. In the
case of spf allow, this link _replaces_ the allow email address
in the bounce message error string. In the case of friends, this
link is added to the friends confirmation message
(default) and the option to add it to the custom message appears
on the custom message page.
- New: g_late_forward -
described below in late_forward
- New: late_forward -
These force late forwarding and hide the user option on the
forwarding page that chooses whether to get it or not. If the
user has already selected late forwarding setting either of
these will not clear that, even if they load and save the
forwarding page. Disabling these settings later will revert it
back to the users previous personal setting as you'd expect.
- New: tellmail list_rcpt - Attempts to list all valid receipt
addresses for the server
- New: tellmail dropfile_import user@domain c:\inbox\fred\mail -
This looks for 'dropfile's one per folder, and creates matching
folders/messages in surgemail (maildir format)
- New: tellmail bull_fwd [domain] - This searches the authent
database, locates all the accounts which forward to a non-local
address (and do not also deliver locally or deliver to a robot
or responder) and emails them all the bulletins they have not
- New: Support for multiple webadmins added - "surgemail
- New: added mirroring of mfilter.dat and simple.rul files
- New: domainkey web admin interface page added
- New: g_msg_log_extra
- The setting causes extra logging in the msg.log files, it logs
user logins and imap fetch commands (to match the existing pop
- New: You can now setup an auto response message and have it
automatically turn off after a set period of time.
- New: tellmail can now use SSL for connections - use -ssl on
the command line.
- New: forward message if smaller than xx (added to end user
interface). If a message arrives which is larger than the
specified size, it's not forwarded, it's delivered locally and a
notification message is sent in it's place. This feature is
especially useful to people who are forwarding email to pda
devices with limited storage.
- New: "match exactly", "does not contain", "does not match
exactly" in filters in end user interface.
This feature only works if you use late forwarding (the
interface makes this clear).
- Change: g_forward_illegal
- Rules only apply to non local domains now.
- Change: g_spam_allow
changed to multi settings.
- Change: Instead of sending a confirmation (to a possibly faked
address, which would then be considered spam and cause you to be
blacklisted by spamcop or similar) it gave a 554 error. It did
this if the message did not contain spf headers with "pass" in
them. In other words it did this when spf was disabled or when
spf failed. It has been changed so that it only does it when spf
is enabled and fails.
- Change: On startup SurgeMail scans the mail queue, if this
takes more than 10 seconds it skips the rest and makes an
- Fix: g_user_alias_file - strange problems when editing in
webadmin when alias.dat does not exist
- Fix: redirect/redirect_cc - crashed when editing these
settings in webadmin in some versions
- Fix: memory leak in cluster resync
- Fix: aspam performance
- Fix: dlist crash
- Fix: IMAP problem with messages with bad headers
- Fix: Some minor mirror problems.
- Fix: IMAP problem with changing folders caused problems for
- Fix: IMAP codes when moving messages to inbox (improved
- Fix: crash during ASPAM retrain.
- Fix: Mirror fix that caused some of the users settings not to
be mirrored (bug was added in 3.7xx)
- Fix: rare crash in *nix in thread creation code.
- Fix: imapbody structure which most clients ignore except a few
- Fix: g_spam_allow_rbl
- wasn't working properly
- Fix: problem with quotas drifiting upwards
- Fix: added more error checking to SurgeMail to detect admin
mistakes like creating loops with redirect rules or adding
domains that are already aliased to other domains etc.
- Fix: crash in domain keys code.
- Fix: rare admin bug that stopped the admin showing any values
- Fix: If machine A had a unique setting then changes on machine
B would cause that setting to be removed from the config on A.
- Fix: DNS invalid domain - If a dns lookup failed due to a
timeout, then the next lookup for the same domain would fail as
if the domain didn't exist instead of with a timeout error.
- Fix: Pop proxy bug - When using gateway setting(s) and
g_proxy_to_gateways the pop proxy was not being used for users
in domains which do not exist in the config file (i.e. all of
SurgeMail 3.7b8 31-May-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-8)
- Update: Reverted SPF + Friends bounce behaviour (to enable
feature now use g_responder_safer and g_friends_spf_fail_bounce)
- Fix: Mirroring of user cgi setting files (broken in most 3.7
SurgeMail 3.7b7 25-May-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-8)
- Fix: Several memory leaks
- Fix: Blog post editing and plaintext email posting fixes
- Fix: Footer & g_gateway_dat fix
SurgeMail 3.7b6 28-April-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-8)
- Fix: Netauth memory leak
- Fix: Quota handling uncommon crash
- Fix: Outlook IMAP folder redownload issue
- Fix: Friends related uncommon crash
SurgeMail 3.7b5 19-April-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-8)
- Fix: Friends store/pending view html email crash
- Fix: Webmail basic html message non display issue
- Fix: Mailing list archive viewer memory leak
- Fix: "all domain" reporting used default domain only
- Fix: Dlist hide_sender crash on linux
- Fix: Webmail HTML editor "press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate
and use this control" issue
SurgeMail 3.7b3 6-April-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-8)
- Fix: Aspam retraining performance bug
- Fix: Crash on freesbd on certain header addition operations
SurgeMail 3.7b 7-March-2006 (Webmail 3.1r-8)
- New: g_block_skip
"address@domain" - exception for g_block_files, for sender
- New: g_header_strip
"header" - removes the header from the message.
- New: g_imap_capa
- New: g_imap_capa_strip
- New: g_authent_last_login
- New: g_bounce_bind
- New: g_create_user_length
- New: g_iplimit
- New: g_iplimit_local
- New: g_iplimit_remote
- New: g_iplimit_islocal
- New: g_iplimit_whitelist
- New: g_user_send_rule
- New: g_language_default
- New: g_archive_files
- New: g_bounce_reject
"ip" - which you use to list the ip addreseses of dumb back end
servers that should not be allowed to send you bounce messages.
- New: redirect_max
- New: language_default
- New: g_newui_advanced
"true/false" - can set the UI into advanced mode permanently,
- New: g_from_relay &
if (relay_allow_ip matches) if (!authenticated) if
(!whitelisted(from) bounce "sorry you need to be smtp
authenticated to send from a non local domain"
- New: g_user_utoken_expire
- New: g_forward_illegal
- allows you to stop users from setting up forward rules to
- New: Installer adds link to help
- New: dlist_rotate_n "n" - how many logs to keep for dlist
- New: image based human verification for blogs
- New: popfetch now reads bcc's when using it with g_spool
- New: popfetch now tries to use the rcpt from received headers
- New: create_image
"true/false" - this setting adds a verification image to the
user signup process.
- Update: g_spf_skip is now
a multi setting
- Update: removed some netwinsite URL's from surgemail/webmail
as were causing problems with SPAM sites.
- Update: bounces now are never generated due to exception
filters unless the setting g_bounce_some "true" is added
- Fix: timezone changes on Windows platforms should now work
properly without restart. (daylight saving for example)
- Fix: when changing a group name, surgemail now updates all
settings relating to that group correctly.
- Fix: popfetch in SSL mode.
- Fix: loading of mailing lists
- Fix: various crashes
- Fix: mirroring of files > 100 megabytes.
- Fix: problems with outlook and uid errors in imap
- Fix: display quotas of over 2 gigs
- Fix: problem with messages bypassing friends with an empty
- Fix: renaming user from one domain to another domain
SurgeMail 3.6f7 1-December-2005 (Webmail 3.1q-2)
- Fix (3.6f7): Self account creation password problem
- Fix (3.6f7): Invalid message encoding confusing webmail fix
- Fix (3.6f7): Memory leak on quota report (if report was
limited in some way)
SurgeMail 3.6f5 11-November-2005 (Webmail 3.1q-2)
- Fix (3.6f4): Unix intercept migration fix
- Fix (3.6f4): Webmail invalid UID fix
- Fix (3.6f4): Removal of several netwin urls in friends /
bounce messages as this was getting servers blacklisted
- Fix (3.6f5): Bug with use of g_aspam_headers (unix only,
SurgeMail 3.6f3 4-October-2005 (Webmail 3.1q-2)
- New: Date range based reporting added to "tellmail report" per
user / domain monthly reports.
- New: Integral support for blog listing with technorati.com
- New: Optional password protection for blogs
- New: Fancier surgemail bulletin features
- New: Account rename functionality
- Fix: Fixed non functional blogs_per_user_max
- Fix: Fixes to updated mailing list interface
- Fix: several other fixes
- Fix (3.6f2): Config mirrorring and IMAP fix
- Fix (3.6f3): Webmail login issue (bug added post 3.6d)
SurgeMail 3.6d 9-September-2005 (Webmail 3.1p-8)
- New: New g_admin_access feature allows customisation of domain
administrator features (per server / domain / per account)
- New: Webmail now handles replying to html messages in HTML
without messing up html - in particular allows replies to HTML
messages sent by MS Outlook (requires "allow_html_reply true"
and "allow_style true" in webmail.ini)
- New: Per domain & per group log creation limits
- New: Posted blog images can be rotated on edit post page
- New: migration_translation.txt file support for handling weird
account anames when using old_pophost / old_imaphost migration
- Fix: HTTP timeouts changed from 5s to 60 s
- Fix: New admin UI now has global use defaults (on accounts
- Fix: New admin UI was not saving surgehost.ini settings for
- Fix: domain_defaults.txt works for domain creation under new
web admin UI
- Fix: Quite a lot of other fixes :-)
SurgeMail 3.5b3 15-August-2005
- Fix: Blogs mirrorring fix
- Fix: Blogs possible CPU loop when posting comments
- Fix: New admin UI fix - pressing save in domains page broke
surgewall / user_sms_quota setting values
- Fix: New admin UI fix - vlist based settings automatic sorting
conforms to old admin UI (affects g_access_group, g_download,
g_header_out, g_include, g_retry_rule, g_sample_get,
g_sample_show, g_send_tolimit not sorted)
- Fix: Webmail logins fail after upgrade (if first install prior
to surgemail 1.5d and url_host is used)
- Fix: Back links removed in webmails use of surgemail web pages
- Fix: Perflog crash if system performance library did not
return correct processor count (windows only)
- Fix: Crash if mail delivered to already full mailbox (solaris
only, recently introduced)
- Fix: tellmail quota_rebuild "invalid account" fix (bug
introduced surgemail 3.2a)
- Fix (3.5b2): Cosmetic new admin UI fix (removal of warnings
introduced by fix above)
- Fix (3.5b3): Incorrect addition of g_authent_domain "true" if
no setting present (not using g_authent_domain) and saved from
web admin ui
- Fix (3.5b3): New admin UI bug, save on domain page in standard
mode reset mailbox_path do default value
- Fix (3.5b3): HTTP timeouts changed from 5s to 60 s
- Fix (3.5b3): Couple of new admin ui and blogs cosmetic changes
- Fix (3.5b3): Bug that could delay messages by a few minutes if
send_isslow feature is used - default in this version
- Fix (3.5b3): Aspam filtering fix
SurgeMail 3.5a 26-July-2005 (was 3.2g 19-July-2005)
- New: Additional wave template set for blogs
- New: Aditional dlist settings: post_members_tomod, mod_hide,
- Fix: Several minor new web admin UI fixes
- Fix: Sending fix if remote system always hung while sending
- Fix: NFS efficiency fixes
- Fix: Memory allocation efficiency fixes
- Fix: Minor blog fixes
- Fix: Mirrorring fixes (now mirrorring pending.dat and
- Fix: Several minor surgeplus fixes
- Fix (3.5a): Delete domain button added to new ui + several new
SurgeMail 3.2e 1-July-2005
- New: New simplified and more informative UI for SurgeMail
Admin web interface
- New: Surgemail Blogs allowing users to create and manage blogs
- New: Many minor features added, too many to list individually
- New: suspend "true/false" -
allows suspending the domain, allows incomming mail, but denies
the ability of users to check their mail.
- New: g_fix_crcrlf
"true/false" - setting to deal with some legacy applications
sending incorrect cr/lf's at the end of headers
- New: g_auth_norelay
"true/false" - if true does not let user relay because they
- New: sendmail.ini file in (g_home directory) controls some
aspects of sendmail
- New: g_smtp_portauth -
Forces smtp authentication on this port eg g_smtp_portauth "587"
- New: tellmail add_rules
- New: g_send_nolimit
<domain> - Overrides g_send_max_perdom for one or more
- New: Allowed changes to SSL certificates to take effect
without a restart
- New: g_tarpit_retry -
so that tarpit limit results in a retry rather than a 5 second
- New: g_msg_max_hops
"number" - sets maximum number of received lines before
rejecting (default 30)
- New: email notification message - The first 1024 chars of the
body are now available with ||body||
- New: g_quota group=string
- New: tellmail add_member
<list> <email> - adds memeber to mailing list
- New: g_smtp_noauth
"ip" - all non matching ip's must authenticate
- New: alias_max - limits
the amount of aliases allowed in a domain
- New: g_allow_passzip_to
"..." - allows avast to let through unmonitorable zip files to
- New: g_allow_passzip_from
"..." - allows avast to let through unmonitorable zip files from
- New: g_orbs_report
"true/false" - This allows you to get an email if your server
gets 'orbs' listed
- New: g_include / g_download - Used
together you can fetch a file from a web server, and get updates
and include it for global settings in your surgemail.ini
- New: g_body_filter
"true/false" - end users can now choose to filter on the body of
- Fixed: g_vpipe_skip
"ip" - now skips g_virus_fprot
- Fixed: sendmail crashing when using sendmail.ini
- Fixed: Deletion of domains (changed to two actions, delete
- Fixed: Many minor bugs
- Fixed: Various bugs that could cause crashes
- Fixed: Many cosmetic issues
- Fixed: Deleting in outlook using imap with multiple threads
- Fixed: Updated IMAP IDLE command to timeout after 32 mins
- Fixed: Random bug where a 5 second delay could be caused
between WebMail and SurgeMail
- Fixed: Bounce to rules were being lost in some situations
- Fixed: Many cross site scripting fixes
- Fixed: DNS UDP runt packets being sent
- Fixed: Added code to check when tarpitting channels that there
are always enough channels left for connections - if not old
ones are dropped.
- Fixed: g_bad_from doesn't block if it gets a 400 error now as
was blocking emails due to greylisting
- Security: g_web_max "100"
- maximum connections
- Security: g_web_max_perip
"10" - maximum per ip
- Security: g_deny "ip" is now
used by webconnections also
SurgeMail 3.0c2 22-March-2005
- Security: (2.2c2 : 22 March 2005) Webmail security issue and
user.cgi security issue fixed.
- Add: Updated version of webmail to webmail 2.1n (build23)
- Note: This release is really just what would normally have
been 2.2g5 (does not contain features in 2.2h builds)
SurgeMail 3.0a 17-March-2005
- Fixed: 5 second delay affecting webmail running under
surgemail (affects several unix versions only)
- Note: This release is really just what would normally have
been 2.2g4 but with a major version number update (does not
contain features in 2.2h build
SurgeMail 2.2g3 5-March-2005
- Fixed: Remove the option of deleting domains from the admin as
it some circumstances it could remove the wrong domain (two
admins using the admin at the same time, or an admin with two
browser windows open to the admin)
SurgeMail 2.2g2 15-February-2005
- New: g_surbl - Takes
advantage of databases for known spam URL's (www.surbl.com)
- New: g_rcpt_nodup "true/false"
- Stops duplicates of the same message being delivered multiple
times to one address (only in same session) - works well when
using fallbacks etc.
- New: Extended archiving flexibility - see archive section in
- New: Can edit members in a mailing list - disabled true/false,
onholiday true/false, digest true/false
- New: g_orbs_list - This
setting can now have different stamps based on the ip returned
by the RBL.
- Fixed: problem where a forward to multiple users with one user
over quota gave back a meaningless error.
- Fixed: blank gateway rules caused problems.
- Fixed: cleaned up various logging messages.
- Fixed: size() in mfilter not working with values over 14999.
- Fixed: Many other unspecified fixes
- Fixed: (2.2g2 : 15 February 2005) Surbl rule formatting bug
- Note this build contains the same version of webmail as the
surgemail 2.2c10 release.
SurgeMail 2.2c10 17-January-2005
- Security: (2.2c9 : 23 December 2004) Webmail security bug
- New: g_smtp_welcome_delay
"seconds"- delays smtp welcome, any connection that doesn't wait
for prompt before sending data is dropped.
- New: g_orbs_cache_life
"seconds" - Time to keep RBL hits cached
- New: g_orbs_force
"true/false" - forces rbl lookups even if user is in an allowed
relay ip (g_relay_allow_ip)
- New: tellmail surgehost_update
- makes surgemail update surgehost.ini for each domain.
- New: user_list_quota
- This setting configures the number of mailing lists a user of
this domain can create
- New: g_user_list_quota
- This setting configures the number of mailing lists a user can
create on this server
- New: g_admin_guesses
"number" - number of guesses allowed for admin login before
being shut out.
- New: g_user_send_max
"number" - Allows the specification of a maximum number of
emails per day.
- New: user_send_max
"number" - Allows the specification of a maximum number of
emails per day.
- New: g_user_filter_early
"true/false" - this setting causes it to run the users
exceptions/filters before writing the
message to disk during the delivery process.
- New: Multilanguage support for user.cgi pages
- Fixed: autoresponders failing when used with g_orbs_late "true"
- Fixed: memory leak
- Fixed: quota handling problem on surgemail crashes
- Fixed: dlist - quoted text before the address was not handled
eg "text here" <address@domain>
- Fixed: (2.2c7 : 8 December 2004) Friends message pending list
did not display email address correctly.
- Fixed: (2.2c10 : 17 January 2005) 3 fixes - crash when adding
non local dlist members, minor memory leak, and debug
SurgeMail 2.2a6 1-November-2004
- New: DNS lookups now use UDP.
- New: Per user usage logging for gatewayed / surgewalled
domains + more report generation features
- New: g_mailstatus_message
- New: g_send_helo_from
"txt" - Uses from envelope to generate helo.
- New: g_received_skip
"true/false" - Skips writing the received header for trusted
- New: No rbl lookups are done if the user matches
- New: list_max_users
"number" -sets maximum amount of users that can be added to the
lists in this domain
- New: tellmail change_pass <user@domain> <new
password> - changes users password.
- New: CRAM-MD5 support added - Documentation here.
- New: header_add
<header> - adds headers to messages, domain setting.
- Fixed: installer for FreeBSD systems.
- Fixed: The imap command asd fetch 1:*
BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS.NOT (RECEIVED)] imap returning incorrect
- Fixed: IMAP IDLE command.
- Fixed: delay in reading in dns.dat cache.
- Fixed: File leak on avast update.
- Fixed: perflog stability
- Fixed: handling of MIME messages and footers in dlist.
- Fixed: join template and naked line feeds in dlist.
- Fixed: blocked all ips from admin interface if 6 incorrect
attempts were made, now done per ip.
- Fixed: g_spam_allow if blank allowed everyone.
- Fixed: Variety of other minor fixes
SurgeMail 2.1c7 9-September-2004
- New: Improved DNS lookup code
- New: g_orbs_late "true"
- allows late lookups so authenticated users can be bypassed for
- New: g_spf_skip_to "user@address"
skips spf checks for specified rcpt, also skips rbl checks if
using g_orbs_late "true"
- New: g_quota_skip "ip"
- skips quota checks for users sending from specified ip
- New: g_filter_n "number"
- Number of filters to run simultaneously
- New: Added more information to to the status pages (mainly
bandwidth related) and status page readability improvements
- New: Improved surgeplus integration
- New: Install dbabble from within surgemail web admin interface
- New: Latest version of webmail now included with surgemail
releases (for this release v3.1k build 8) for webmail release
notes see http://netwinsite.com/webmail/updates.htm
- part of webmail admin manual
- New: Improved web image caching for surgemail and webmail
- New: Build number now included as part of filename on patched
builds (instead of separate patch number) to avoid version
- Fixed (2.1c7): DNS bug rejecting some emails "DNS channels all
busy for 5 minutes"
- Fixed (2.1c7): Per domain/user logs deleted based on
- Fixed (2.1c6): Further perflog crashing bug fixed
- Fixed (2.1c6): DNS display on standard status page
- Fixed (2.1c6): Per user / domain reporting did not work if
g_record_path was used
- Fixed (2.1c5): Continuous peflog problems fixed by making
sampling code more robust
- Fixed (2.1c5): Webmail fix - Smooth template set reply etc
would not send
- Fixed (2.1c5): DNS lookups on surgewall domains
- Fixed (2.1c5): Several other minor fixes
- Fixed: The uninstaller so it removes all files and rollback
mechanism works correctly if file busy error encountered during
- Fixed: Some confusing SMTP error messages like this one
- Fixed: Bug in the sendmail stub that caused it to crash with
the -mailfrom argument
- Fixed: Several stabilty bugs
- Fixed: Peflog restarting surgemail if missing more than 5
minutes of data
- Fixed: Bug when sending with g_spool, sometimes mail got sent
- Fixed: SMS notification quota handling
- Fixed: Several changes + fixes to SPF handling
- Fixed: Mailing list handling fixes
SurgeMail 2.1a 6-August-2004
- Fix: Perflog graphing bandwidth_in and bandwidth_out graphing
could get broken sometimes
- Fix: Several stability issues and a few other minor issues
- 2 new webmail template sets (Surge and Smooth), both with
multilanguage support (English, French, German, Spanish,
- SPF improvements and new settings (g_spf_default,
g_spf_default_noblock, g_spf_skip, g_spf_rev_skip)
- Usage reporting for usage / accounting purposes (per user and
per domain mail received / send / pop usage etc)
- Latest version of webmail (version 3.1i build 13)
- Some surgemail admin web interface improvements
- Viruses stopped by all mechanism now logged on advanced status
- (non functional - Windows only) On fault stack is now dumped
by surgemail to startstop.log instead of drwatson logs for
catching crash information as drwatson logs not reliable on
SurgeMail 2.0g2 10-July-2004
- Fix:(2.0g2): Using g_access_groups with access_smtp not
matching IP prevented receiving instead of sending of messages
- Fix: Sporadic crash due to perflog graphing
- Fix: cc's in mfilter when entered via the webadmin
- Fix: UID issues in imap especially when used with outlook
- Fix: fixed problem with reloading mfilter, could cause
- Fix: Using our own dns code on freebsd now as theirs was buggy
- reverse dns lookups will work etc.
- +: Added domain quotas - setting quota_domain "500mb"
- +: Improved logging for RBL hits, logs which RBL was hit
- +: Status page now shows how many hits for each RBL you are
SurgeMail 2.0e 10-June-2004
- Fix: search feature in surgemail now a lot faster
- Fix: spf templates now use "strict" not "mean"
- Fix: g_mfilter_skip_ip problem fixed , caused skippng if no
value was set
- Fix: tellmail logout - wouldn't logout users in certain
- Fix: dns problems related to SPF lookups.
- Fix: friends/exceptions/spam problems fixed (added in 2.0b)
- Fix: g_tellmail_ip "ip" now works.
- g_dsn_enable "true/false" - default false, must set to true to
turn on dsn support.
SurgeMail 2.0c 3-June-2004
- Fix: Now rejects messages on receipt of the SIZE declaration
- Fix: Problem when daily logs get too large ( > 2 gigs)
- Fix: IMAP dying on certain messages
- Fix: Fixed some tellmail commands that were not working
properly (add_user, delete_user etc)
- Fix: Problems with user admin buttons not working.
- Fix: Friends release didn't move messages to inbox.
- Fix: Improved stability
- Fix: stopped displaying full paths for various file errors
(thanks to www.exploitlabs.com)
- Fix: Improved speed for systems with large amount of domains
- +: added support for #include's in surgemail.ini - won't be
able to use webadmin for saving changes however.
- +: IMAP4 UIDPLUS extension added (rfc2359)
- +: g_mfilter_skip_ip <ip> skips mfilter for messages
coming from selected ip's
- +: added support for x-receiver headers for g_spool_path
- +: Added DSN's
- +: tellmail suspend - stops surgemail from delivery mail, just
- +: tellmail resume - tells surgemail to start delivering mail
again after a suspend command has been issued.
- +: Surgemail performance counter (and windows perfmon system
counter) history graphing
- +: Webmail version 3.1g (includes security fix)
SurgeMail 2.0a2 21-May-2004
- Fix(2.0a2): Friends messages contained bad header (broken
- Fix:(2.0a2): Remote tellmail command using "-host" (broken
- Fix: dlist problems with subscribes/unsubscribes not working
- Fix: several security issues (not showing full paths on errors
etc) (thanks to www.exploitlabs.com)
- Fix: patched ssl version to cover security issues in open ssl
- Fix: smitecrc was broken in 1.9 builds.
- Fix: dlist problems with digests not going out and missing
- +: g_spf_domain "domain" - specify the domain to use in spf
and srs rewrite responses.
- +: g_retry_dns "hours" - retries messages that get a dns error
(dns responds but with nothing valid).
- Fix: 5xx errors on connect now cause bounce instead of
- Fix: setting bounce in mfilter rules now causes a bounce
instead of scoring it high.
SurgeMail 1.9b2 19-May-2004.
- Fix (1.9b2): smitespam binary only updated to version built 19
May (installer and surgemail binary will still say version 1.9b.
Alternatively just run 1.9b build (12 May) and update smitecrc
from web admin)
- Fix: g_spam_allow now stops lookups for g_badfrom_check
- Fix: DNS problems, caused lookups to fail in some cases.
- Fix: smite_skip_ip was broken
- Fix: Improved stability
- Fix: account status's now work for smtp
- Fix: SurgeMail could crash while searching for a config
- Fix: domain aliases with user aliases were broken.
- Fix: SurgeMail wasn't decreasing user license numbers in some
circumstances when users were deleted.
- Fix: Aspam was being classed as a filter not a spam user
access setting, now corrected to use the 'spam' access
- Fix: Fixed the infamous "399" tcp errors when unable to
connect to other servers, now gives proper reasons.
- Fix: Can now set moderator password for lists in the webadmin.
- +: g_smtp_max_nolimit <ip> - Ip addresses that don't
have max smtp limit applied.
- +: list_max <number> - maximum number of lists that can
be created for that domain.
- +: list_disable <true/false> - disables list creation
for that domain.
- +: added access_list to dlist, can control who sees particular
lists with the "list" command.
- +: logging changes, now logs the setting that gave a user
permission to relay and if they used smtp auth logs the account
they authenticated with.
- +: tellmail add_domain <domain> - adds domain to
- +: tellmail add_user <user@domain> <password> -
adds user to user database
- +: tellmail add_user_alias <user> <alias> - adds
an alias for the specified user
- +: tellmail delete_user_alias <user> <alias> -
deletes an alias for the specified user.
- +: g_orbs_list will now use the stamp as the rejection message
in deny mode.
SurgeMail 1.8g3 25-March-2004
- Spool path allowing SurgeMail to send dropped files as email
- New settings (g_delete_user_mode, g_user_alias_file)
- SurgePlus calendar and filesharing (fully functional but still
- Fix: Memory corruption bug causing sporadic random crashes on
- Fix: Vpipe restart bug on timeout
- Fix: Further fix to new na_exceptions web page
- Fix: Minor memory leak
- Fix: Proxy mode fix
- Fix (1.8g2): WebMail autologin fix for non default vdomains
using custom quick login method
- Fix (1.8g2): Alias creation bug
- Fix (1.8g3): Hopefully final fix to WebMail autologin. (Rolled
back logic to that of previous release builds)
- Fix (1.8g3): Reports page broken on UNIX systems
- Fix (1.8g3): Bug in SurgePlus that could sporadically crash
SurgeMail on display of SurgePlus web page
For updates prior to 1.8g3 see the older
surgemail change history page.